PDA

View Full Version : Aging tank sterilization??

B-rad
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 01:31 AM
I am trying to figure out whats up with my tap water...but while I age it I fill 3 buckets up with my tap water and let it sit in my basement uncovered for about 24 hrs. Is there anything that can get in there that will effect water quality?? also do I have to sterilize these buckets between each use?? how would I go about doing that??

Thanks

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 02:01 AM
No sterilizing the buckets isn't necessary, so long as you don't use them for anything else other than ageing water.

We age the water to allow the pH to settle and to remove chlorine from the water (adding an airstone to the bucket will help).

It won't remove chloramine, so you will need to add a specific conditioner for that.

flukes
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 12:52 AM
Try make it easier on your self, find a 200ltr (45gal) drum, stick a heater in it, air stone, a pump and attach a piece of tubing that will reach your tank. Then you will only have too fill it up every 2nd or 3rd water change and you always have water ready for a quick water change...

Also beats carrying buckets too the tank...

skoom
Fri Apr 01, 2005, 02:13 AM
how long does it usually take for the pH to settle? I think i leave it overnight and it's still 7.8 (sydney)... i kind of find it hard to settle the pH when i do daily water changes...so i just wack the water in... i don't believe in adjusting the pH...
is it really more efficient with an airstone? At the moment i use a power filter packed with charcoal and agitate the water surface (+ stress coat)

any tips to settle the pH?

Merrilyn
Fri Apr 01, 2005, 01:50 PM
Skoom, it can take 24 - 48 hours for the pH to drop in the ageing tank. The filter packed with charcoal is fine. No airstone is needed in your case.

Is there a big difference between the pH of your tank water, and what comes out of the tap.