PDA

View Full Version : discus in a pond

boydie
Sun Mar 25, 2012, 11:12 PM
hey all ive got a pond 2.3m x 1.2m x 600,and a large home made box filter to go with it.
i have wanted to get back into keeping some discus so im asking the question how would discus go in a pond of this size.
i live in the tropics and i was going to put plants in it as well.
what are your thoughts

cheers boydie

ILLUSN
Sun Mar 25, 2012, 11:46 PM
would work fine.

My dream is to move to Cairns and set up wild discus and angels in 1000-2000L ponds and lust let them breed away.

just make sure you remember to clean the uneaten food out each day.

random-cichlid
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 01:23 AM
if u get it set up id love to come for a drive and go for a swim with ur discus 3 hour drive is worth it :D :D :D :D

random-cichlid
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 01:27 AM
I dont really see the problem with it but i would suspect it would be allot of work.
How would u heat it in the winter months it would need some heating id assume, It doesn't get that cold here in north qld but i would think it gets cold enough to make it very unpleasant for them i am very curious about your venture in to this and would like to see some photos when you get a chance

boydie
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 01:33 AM
ive kept them in 3x2x2 tanks wwith no heating so im asuming with a larger body of water it should be too much of a problem.

does anyone know of anyone with young discus up this way,private stuff iknow of all the comercial guys and they are expensive.

boxters
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 05:35 AM
I have to say i love the pond idea and some of the guys on here who have been to my place will tell you I'm very much on my way to setting up a 2000 litre pond for discus. Im going to heat it using a solar set up and for a filter I'm using a sand filter.

We are going to have to compare notes. I thought i was the only one crazy enough to do it. Im going to raise mine above ground so i can have a glass or perspecs window to view the fish.

ILLUSN
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 06:10 AM
I have to say i love the pond idea and some of the guys on here who have been to my place will tell you I'm very much on my way to setting up a 2000 litre pond for discus. Im going to heat it using a solar set up and for a filter I'm using a sand filter.

We are going to have to compare notes. I thought i was the only one crazy enough to do it. Im going to raise mine above ground so i can have a glass or perspecs window to view the fish.

THIS IS A FANTASTIC IDEA

I tired to do this in my fishroom but the minister for war and finance said a polite and diplomatic NO!

boydie
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 06:54 AM
ok i think im going to have a crack at it,but there is no discus up here,unless you want to pay a fortune.i would rather buy 50cent size fish and start from there.
if there is anyone up this way give me a yell.
boxter would you put any other fish with them.too help maintain pond if you know what i mean.

mawhins
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 07:10 AM
Oh dear, I just thought about cutting the top half off my 5k litre water tank! You've gotta be careful with threads like this. Boxer, how will the solar work? Ive been thinking about using a black polypipe arrangement and pump to warm a 1000 litre tank for water changes in winter. This wouldn't work for a constant temp though unless a backup heated was used for prolonged cloud cover.

boydie
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 07:51 AM
cut it and do it mawhins, i would if i had one

boxters
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 08:43 AM
i may just have some cardinals and a few corydoras.

swampy1972
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 09:51 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I don't really see the point since the beauty of keeping them is seeing their colour and shape from the side.

boxters
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 10:02 AM
Well there is evidence to show that they grow much bigger in a pond because it's a more nutrient rich environment

boxters
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 10:15 AM
Check this video on YouTube out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyWKgD9kKBY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

boydie
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 08:16 PM
Hey swampy, yes your right but I have this pond just sitting there and I have no tank space