PDA

View Full Version : new wilds bickering

lou1
Sun Mar 18, 2012, 05:58 AM
hi guys i just got 4 wilds recently and they seem to be fighting a bit , they came from a larger community tank ( mine is 285 l ) any idea how long this could last otherwise i might have to sell 2 of them
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/1958/imag0348n.jpg
http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/736/imag0349u.jpg

boxters
Sun Mar 18, 2012, 06:18 AM
Wild fish are very territorial. When they are added into a new environment they will fight to establish the hierarchy of authority. This could go on for a few weeks or just a few days. Its completely normal and will settle down. By the sounds of things you are new to the hobby. I highly recommend that you look up the water requirements of the fish you have. If they all come from different areas of the amazon, you are going to have issues meeting their water needs. If they are all from the same reigon you will have an easier time.

lou1
Sun Mar 18, 2012, 06:33 AM
Wild fish are very territorial. When they are added into a new environment they will fight to establish the hierarchy of authority. This could go on for a few weeks or just a few days. Its completely normal and will settle down. By the sounds of things you are new to the hobby. I highly recommend that you look up the water requirements of the fish you have. If they all come from different areas of the amazon, you are going to have issues meeting their water needs. If they are all from the same reigon you will have an easier time.
I currently have about 12 discus in total and have breed them before . So I'm not exactly new to the hobby . And I don't want to get into a debate in regards to water requirements . But I did find it odd that moving the fish from a community tank to a slightly smaller one caused the aggression

nevsfish
Sun Mar 18, 2012, 06:49 AM
hi lou1 i have found (with my wilds )and also domestic discus is that they do better in larger groups 8 to 10.also a larger tank is always appreciated with wilds.there is still fighting but it is less serious with larger groups and larger tanks.

nevsfish
Sun Mar 18, 2012, 06:52 AM
also forgot to add nice lookin tank .

lou1
Sun Mar 18, 2012, 07:00 AM
hi lou1 i have found (with my wilds )and also domestic discus is that they do better in larger groups 8 to 10.also a larger tank is always appreciated with wilds.there is still fighting but it is less serious with larger groups and larger tanks.
Well that tank i think 4 is the limit to what it can hold . My 6 ft is already full . So hopefully they will sort themselves out . And thanks ill be adding a few more plants next week

boxters
Sun Mar 18, 2012, 07:42 AM
Don't ask for advice if you can't take it

lou1
Sun Mar 18, 2012, 10:32 AM

huh? what do you mean by that? i asked a farily simple question . that being the fish were bickering when they were moved to a smaller tank , your comment about me being new and should read up was not called for . you know nothing about me or how long i have kept fish . as to your comment about the water requirments , ive kept and breed discus before so i still dont understand "Dont ask for advice if you cant take it"

Hollowman
Mon Mar 19, 2012, 09:33 PM

huh? what do you mean by that? i asked a farily simple question . that being the fish were bickering when they were moved to a smaller tank , your comment about me being new and should read up was not called for . you know nothing about me or how long i have kept fish . as to your comment about the water requirments , ive kept and breed discus before so i still dont understand "Dont ask for advice if you cant take it"

You may not be new to the hobby, but you asked a relatively simple question for someone with your 'breeding' and 'keeping' experiences. The answer given by Boxters was spot on. You even say yourself that they came from a bigger tank, so territorial issues will be a problem, specially as you don't know the sex of them (as you don't state that in your post)
People have only offered advice in a friendly manner, take it that way, you won't make friends here by upsetting the many regular and experienced posters.

lou1
Mon Mar 19, 2012, 10:34 PM
I understand the bickering part , but previously I've only being buying discus as singles and it then finds its place in the social group . What I did find odd was this is the first time I purchased 4 at once , I would have thought hiracy would have continued when moving them to a new tank .

boxters
Tue Mar 20, 2012, 09:05 AM
You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink hollow an. From the pics you can tell the water is not suited to these fish. They look very unhealthy

Xerxes
Tue Mar 20, 2012, 10:44 AM
edit

Merrilyn
Tue Mar 20, 2012, 01:44 PM
I understand the bickering part , but previously I've only being buying discus as singles and it then finds its place in the social group . What I did find odd was this is the first time I purchased 4 at once , I would have thought hiracy would have continued when moving them to a new tank .

Hi lou1. No, a new pecking order will have to be established now that they are in a new tank. This could well take a few weeks, so you'll need to be patient.

Wilds are much more of a challenge to care for than domestics, and their demand for clean water means you'll be doing water changes at least three times a week.

I wouldn't be adding any more plants to that tank. Wilds prefer lots of swimming room.

Good luck with them. You've got a nice looking tank there. If you've got any further questions, please don't hesitate.