PDA

View Full Version : newbie question

stebonhuff
Sat Feb 25, 2012, 05:00 PM
I have kept successful planted aquariums off & on for 40 years but just decided to go with a Discus tank. My tank was established and has ammonia at 0, Nitrates at 5, KH & GH at 2 drops and PH at 6.4 for at leats a year. (I use RO water and our local water abhorrent. PH 7.8 and GH at 18 drops). Before buying my Discus from the LFS I tested their water and found their PH at 8.2 KH & GH 9 & 7 respectively, and nitrates at 30 ppm). I treated my tank with some tap water to get closer to their water and have introduced the Discus very successfully. They are much happier now :).

My question is,I have created a spreadsheet to predict my water changes by getting back to my RO water. Would a PH drop of .1 every day or two and a hardness (GH & KH) drop of 1 every 4 to 6 days stress the Discuss?
B.T.W., I also run peat in the filter.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

firthy13
Sat Feb 25, 2012, 08:48 PM
That small drop a day would be fine I think, you could even drop it a little quicker if you wanted.
I my ph fluctuates about 0.5 over the course of 1-2 hours when I do my water changes and doesn't effect them at all.