PDA

View Full Version : artificially moving\raising eggs

random-cichlid
Mon Feb 13, 2012, 06:59 AM
hey guys sry i know its not discus but its def good practice if i ever have to with my discus i hope i never need to thou.
So the issue I have is my flowerhorn and red devil just spawned in a heavily stocked display tank so i quickly moved the eggs out in to a breeding stand for i know the survival rate would be zero if i left them in the display there.

What i have done is placed the rock that the eggs are on with a air stone under the rock and i have placed that near a sponge filter there is no bubbles touching the eggs but there would be a current around the eggs and i also treated with a anti fungal treatment is this all i need to do at what point should i start doing water changes on the eggs i have never raised a brood with out the parents do i just do 25 percent a day of aged water and then do I retreat with fungal or do i slowly start weeding the chems out the eggs are 16 hours old i shall try put a pic up of how i have set it up.
But i am asking for all help and advice
Am i on the right track

ILLUSN
Mon Feb 13, 2012, 07:10 AM
dont cchange any water till the night before the eggs are due to hatch then do daily changes of no more then 10%, to be honest 2x 5% changes would be better (use water from the parents tank), once they hatch stop water changes just take water out little by little so its nice and low then once you start feeding(ie when thay are free swimming) top up bout 5% morning and night with tank water (ie same chemistry).

this is general advice as i dont breed flowerhorns or red devils but theres no reason the concept wont be the same :)

Hooked
Mon Feb 13, 2012, 09:37 AM
Hi mate,

I've no experience with them, but the thread about five down from this one by Mrs D is about how she is raising Discus eggs/fry away from parents. Good info on feeding etc,

Good luck,

Cheers

random-cichlid
Tue Feb 14, 2012, 09:11 AM
Cheers guys so far so good the eggs are developing nicely they now have black tales etc they should hatch out tomorrow i think So i should prob do a small water change yeah???????

So far there is only say 10 white eggs out of 150 so i seem to be doing something right so far. i dont think i shall bother removing the couple of white eggs that are there the tank is low light if any to dark atm and as previous post states it has anti fungal in there so i reckon i should be right but if any 1 has any better ideas feel free to chime in>.

Nev
Tue Feb 14, 2012, 09:17 AM
What illusn says sounds spot on.
Mrs D is raising discus so won't apply to you.

random-cichlid
Tue Feb 14, 2012, 09:52 AM
Yeah i shall be following what illusion has advised me to do im guessing they have about another 12 hours b4 they hatch, but im going fishing in the morning and wont be home untill that afternoon if they do decide to hatch out early.
Im hoping that they should be right for a couple of hours in there fungal treated water if i shall be doing small water changes they will be in the fungal solution for a couple of days any way, so Im guessing it should all right.
im very keen to see how these fish turn out

random-cichlid
Wed Feb 15, 2012, 05:31 AM
hey guys just got back from fishing caught 5 barra and a 1 cod and 7 mudys and a 2 big grunter..
But my best surprise was coming home to heaps of wrigglers wriggling around so i shall do a small water change and then set the stand on timers in a week every thing from here is easy :) :) :) cheers for all ur help.guys