PDA

View Full Version : Tart

Dave
Mon Feb 06, 2012, 07:05 AM
Hi all, im not sure if this is normal as i've never see this happen before. I have a female heckel, who has paired off with a super eruption male, and aslo is pairing off with another (different) male (i think) super eruption.
Now she has laid eggs with eruption no 1, but heads off to the other end of the tank and dose the dance with eruption no 2. Then comes back to check the eggs that are wit eruption no 1, back over to eruption no 2 and starts to clean an area, back to eruption no 1, checks eggs, fans them, then back to no2, all day she dose this and even when she is at the eggs and eruption no 2 comes over they dance together, although eruption no 1 isn't very happy and he punches on with eruption no 2.
I am dum founded as to what is going on.
Has anyone else evr had this happen?
thanks. Dave.

brad_v
Mon Feb 06, 2012, 07:29 AM
I think it is usually the heckel male that does the deed in a cross. Well done getting a female heckel to lay eggs. I'm sure many people would be keen to know tanks and water details and anything you might have done to encourage her.

Cheers

ILLUSN
Mon Feb 06, 2012, 10:44 PM
It happens, Samir had 1 female who would spawn with 3 boys in a semi comunity tank.

Dave
Mon Feb 06, 2012, 11:07 PM
sorry clicked wrong button

Dave
Mon Feb 06, 2012, 11:07 PM
Hi brad, good questions. i have never checked anything in my tanks except for temp and ph. So all i can tell you is ph is 6.5, temp is 30.2 Tank is half planted with nubus on driftwood, moss on driftwood, swords, vail and the bottom is aqua soil. The other half is white sand and 3 bits of driftwood to make it look like they are natural. Oh tank is 4x2x2. 8 discus, 5 brisltenose. External filter is full of noodles and just one peice of filter wool on the top with a large hand full of shell grit in a stocking to keep ph at 6.5.
So tank consists of white sand, aqua soil, 6 peices of driftwood,3 anubus, 4 swords, 4 vail, 5 peices of slate.
Some how it all works together. As I only do a water change once a week ( about a third) and ph stays the same, when i do a water change the ph might go up to 6.7, but within 3 hrs its back to 6.5
Cheers Dave.

Nkemjika
Wed Feb 08, 2012, 05:48 AM
Thank you for letting us know about this.

Xerxes
Wed Feb 08, 2012, 07:04 AM
I think "Tart" predates "groovy." Very interesting...the fish.