PDA

View Full Version : Frogs

Wendy
Mon Jan 30, 2012, 05:33 AM
I'm having a problem keeping frogs out of my fishroom. On Saturday I discovered my Discus juvies looking dark, when I looked closer I discovered a frog in their tank. I removed the frog and immediately did a 30% water change, the fish looked happier almost immediately. The following day I did another 25% water change as frogs really mess the water quickly and I'm hoping all is OK but the Discus do still look a little dark and are hiding a bit. I will keep doing daily 25% changes until they look completely normal. Is there anything else I should do?

Today I have blocked all holes into the tank with blocks of polystyrene cut to fit and wedged in the hole. We spent the weekend modifying the door to the room to make it fit tighter but frogs can squeeze through very tiny gaps so I think blocking access to the tanks is necessary as well.

Does anyone know if it is safe to have the polystyrene in the tank? Its not actually in the water but water splashes up from the sponge filters and then drips back from the polystyrene into the tank.

If anyone knows of a frog repellent I would be most interested to hear!

swifto
Mon Jan 30, 2012, 06:59 AM
:lol:,try fly screen attached to the bottom of the door with thumb tac's it may help.

Wendy
Mon Jan 30, 2012, 07:42 AM
Its a sliding door, so we have put rubber stripping all around and its fairly well sealed now.
However one of the tanks that I found 3 frogs in, all about 8-9cms long only had a strip at the back of the tank the width of the air line open....yet they had still managed to squeeze in! They really don't need much of a gap.

Does anyone know if the polystyrene is safe to use inside the tank?

Nev
Mon Jan 30, 2012, 12:11 PM
Have had polystyrene floating in a tank un-noticed for a while (broken off round bits). and seemed to cause no harm.

Wendy
Mon Jan 30, 2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks Nev