PDA

View Full Version : External heater

Discusdan
Sat Jan 21, 2012, 11:18 PM
I'm thinking of getting an external heater for my 2 foot cube, more for looks than anything else. My current heater is playing up so I need to make a decision soon.

I found a 200W Hydor unit, which seemed reasonably priced. Any suggestions would be welcome :)

swampy1972
Sun Jan 22, 2012, 12:13 AM
They're a good unit if you have the spare $$, otherwise a DIY heater chamber for a conventional heater isn't that difficult to make.

Discusdan
Sun Jan 22, 2012, 09:44 AM
They're a good unit if you have the spare $$, otherwise a DIY heater chamber for a conventional heater isn't that difficult to make.Never heard of a heater chamber, what does that involve?

swampy1972
Sun Jan 22, 2012, 10:57 AM
Just Google "DIY inline aquarium heater" or similar and you'll get plenty of responses.

Here's an example http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?311766-DIY-Inline-heater-housing-for-under-15

The most important part is obviously the water tight fitting that the heater goes through into the chamber. They come in various sizes and you can get them from electrical trade supply outlets. Just give your local one a call and describe it, they should now what you're after.

The most important part of the process is to ensure you use PVC cement to ensure water tight joins.

I'll be making one myself for my new tank when time permits.