PDA

View Full Version : HELP NEEDED WITH CHILLER SELECTION

Ray.M
Fri Jan 20, 2012, 12:17 PM
Hi,
I need some help selecting a suitable chiller for a 700 litre tank. I will be keeping discus and I need to get the temperature down to 27-28C for both the plants and other community fish.
I was considering a Teco TC20 (chiller/heater/UV) but an online seller advised me that he has had nothing but trouble with the current stock made in China and is so despondent with the Teco that he is unlikely to re-stock.
Can anyone shed some light if they have had any trouble with the current Tecos ?

The other option I was considering is a Hailea Aqua Medic 1/2HP model HL 380CA (no heater/UV)

Your input and opinions on a suitable quality chiller would be appreciate.

My current 4' tank is at about 30C - I have tried lids off + air but I cannot get down any further in summer. (This reduced it from about 31-32 to 30)

Thanks,
Ray

Nev
Fri Jan 20, 2012, 09:10 PM
29 - 34 is fine for discus, its temp swings most dislike. Save yourself some money and see how they go at higher temps.

swampy1972
Fri Jan 20, 2012, 10:19 PM
I agree with Nev. Simply choose hardier plants that will tolerate the addition temp. The higher temp assists keeping some of the minor bacterial infections at bay + plus you'll save a lot of $$ by not running a large chiller.
You need to decide whether it's a Discus tank with plants, or a planted tank with Discus.. If the Discus are the focus of the tank I'd save the money for the chiller and rescape with suitable plants and select appropriate tankmates.

Ray.M
Sat Jan 21, 2012, 12:06 AM
Thanks, another issue is that I will be putting an Arcadia Pendent light with 3x150W MH and I am concerned that this will increase the heat load. At the moment I have peppermints which seem to be OK but my corys seem to be having difficulty coping with the higher temperature.
The tail fins (basically the bottom half) on my corys & whip tail have been 'eaten' away and the thinking is that the higher temp increases the bacterial level in the substrate and that it is the bacteria that is eating the tail fins ?

What variety fish & plants would be recommended to stock with discus to have a nice landscaped discus tank.

swampy1972
Sat Jan 21, 2012, 01:51 AM
Have a read through this http://www.freshwateraquariumplants.com/amazonbiotope/discus.html

The plants listed there all have low light demands so will not need as much light as your planned unit, so you could save yourself some more $$ by simply running an adequate T5HO unit or good quality LED setup.

Remember that if you have excessive light without a proper balance you'll run into troubles with algae growth.

What's the reason for the MH lighting? High demand plants, deep tank,... ???