PDA

View Full Version : The cost in running fish tanks

Conrad
Fri Jan 20, 2012, 10:00 AM
Im just wondering if it costs everyone alot to keep multiple tanks in terms of electricity consumption or if im able to save some power somehow?

ILLUSN
Fri Jan 20, 2012, 11:26 AM
4000L with 15% daily changes = $6000 a year in power

swampy1972
Fri Jan 20, 2012, 11:31 AM
Cost depends on what conditions you're keeping. For example a Discus tank will cost you more in terms of heating, whereas a tank primarily for plants will vary depending on lights and the use of Co2 equipment etc.
The cheapest tank would be a small, low light tank that runs at lower temp (or cold).

Nev
Fri Jan 20, 2012, 11:32 AM
4000L with 15% daily changes = $6000 a year in power

Ouch,
Not game to even think about the costs, but nothing like illusn.
My only power saving is to put the lights on a timer.

Hooked
Fri Jan 20, 2012, 12:25 PM
Hi Conrad,

I find what I get out of the hobby is priceless. Its very satisfying. If you have an average size display tank I don't think you will find it to painful, if notice it at all. I've recently started hanging out the laundry and not using the drier any more to help towards the bill. Either way I think its worth every penny,

All the best with it,

Cheers

Conrad
Fri Jan 20, 2012, 01:40 PM
Ive got a 6x2x2 display tank and three standard 4footers for breeding. I totally agree that what we get out of discus is priceless i was just curious

Hooked
Fri Jan 20, 2012, 03:13 PM
Hey Conrad,

I just realised I missed the bit in your first question about "multiple" tanks. Its amazing how once you get into it how tanks just seem to keep appearing. I've just gone from having a 1150lt display with a 200lt quarantine to getting a 400lt early grow out tank as well and am now looking for a couple at least more 200lts for breeding and then a 6 footer for advanced grow out. I was using the 400lt as a holding tank and a pair decided to spawn in it and as of today there's another pair in the quarantine.
I'm quietly concerned about the wife's reaction to future bills... : )

Cheers

Conrad
Sat Jan 21, 2012, 04:48 AM
Lol yep i know the feeling Hooked. My girlfriend nearly had a fit/breakdown when we got our powerbill haha but i expected it so i didnt mind

swifto
Sat Jan 21, 2012, 05:27 AM
Hi All,what power usage my wife works for a energy company and is UP in management so my bill always says no payment required,lol :lol:

tran.nguyen
Sat Jan 21, 2012, 11:02 AM
Post Proof or Fail.

Angelman
Sat Jan 21, 2012, 01:26 PM
I have 22 tanks running and its winter time here... So the shocker came the other day how much more power I'm using. Normally the bill was $200/month..this month $350 ouch!!. All due to increased heater usage. So I spent yesterday insulating the room (basement) even considering adding Styrofoam to 3 sides of most of the tanks. At least the ones on outside walls.
But I will not give up my tanks.. Its worth every penny I have to spend but would rather spend on more fish!!! :lol:

Hooked
Sat Jan 21, 2012, 02:09 PM
Hi swifto,

All you need now is a job at the water board and you're set! : )

Our average power costs in WA are going up ridiculously. No competition over here....

Cheers

Greggy
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 08:08 AM
Why do you think I have 27 190 watt solar panels on my roof!!!!

:)

Greggy

mistakes r crucial
Tue Jan 31, 2012, 07:24 AM
You're a wise man Greggy and so's anyone else that run fish rooms with solar today. I was talking to the mate that helped with our room in 2006-2008 and the electricity bills got a mention, they were $1400+ per quarter back then to run about 40 odd tanks so what they'd be now would be frightening.

The other one was water, drinkable bore needed these days, using 20,000ltrs of town water a week I reckon you'd get locked up now.

ILLUSN
Tue Jan 31, 2012, 10:57 AM
5.1kw very nice work greggy come Jan 2017 I'll be upping my 14x 318w (4.5kw) to 12kw total.

Worst part is I still won't make the 77kw a day I use.

iro11a
Tue Jan 31, 2012, 10:27 PM
I read this thread last night before going to bed and had a nightmare about my next electricity bill :cry:

Hooked
Wed Feb 01, 2012, 02:23 AM
Hi Jon,

As power costs rise I think your nightmare will become a reality for most of us. : (

These guys have seriously got me thinking about solar panels as the hobby grows. Its well worth looking into,

have a good day,

Cheers

iro11a
Wed Feb 01, 2012, 03:27 AM
Its a fantastic idea now to save up 10 grand for solar panels :D

Hooked
Wed Feb 01, 2012, 04:18 AM
Yeah, ouch!
I wish I'd caught the Discus bug way back when the rebates were still around.
Oh well, you cant take it with you.... : )

iro11a
Wed Feb 01, 2012, 04:44 AM
If i had solar panels and i was'nt paying for electricity i would have my whole garage full of tanks. :D but for now i'll have to settle for what i got

Wendy
Thu Feb 02, 2012, 06:39 AM
Solar panels and rainwater is the way to go.
We moved to the country 12 years ago and there was no other option for water. The solar panels went in a year or so ago, just because power is so expensive and we use a lot to keep everything running here(not only the fish tanks). Even going to the loo involves two pumps!
But the end result is having a few tanks is no great problem....woot!

Ghoti
Thu Feb 02, 2012, 06:59 AM
HWS died on Monday and is being replaced by a efficient heat pump HWS. So now it might be cheaper to draw water for changes from the HWS rather than using a 300w heater for 24 hours to bring 250lt up to temp.

Has anyone compared costs of using cold water vs a mix of hot& cold for changes?

Cheers,
Scott

ILLUSN
Thu Feb 02, 2012, 11:22 AM
the problem is the copper storage tank of the hws, if you can get a stainless steel tank it aint bad, use your hot water to fil your aging drums and heat your fish room, when its cool enough (ie a heater in the bottom set at 28C do your change.

it doesnt take alot of energy to KEEP water at 28-30C, it takes a CRA PLOAD to HEAT water from 2-12C to 28-30C, heating your change water is where your using energy.

scoob
Thu Feb 02, 2012, 12:31 PM
Hi Jothy

I know a breeder in Canada(Vern Archer) that does exactly the same he uses his hotwater system for heated water and he has been doing that for the past 25 years without any issues, not sure he has a stainless steel tank or copper tank.

He fills up his aging tanks with heated water form the HWS and ages it for 24 hrs, the tanks are wrapped with insulation and stored in the basement of his house where his fish room is located and that room is insulated as well.

I have done it myself a couple or times but stopped thinking the copper might cause health issues in the long run.

Has anyone tested using water from the HWS and experienced any health issues in Discus ?

Cheers
Mike

Nev
Thu Feb 02, 2012, 01:04 PM
Living in vic it's just about always cold. I often put a bucket or two of hot water from the hws into the change water to bring it up to temp. BTW. if your hws isn't stainless then it's steel with a sacrificial anode in it. Newer homes have plastic pipes but older are copper including the cold water lines and that's the only copper the water touches. Any copper would have to be an infinitesimal amount have never heard of a copper lines corroding away.

ILLUSN
Thu Feb 02, 2012, 11:01 PM
a ceramic lined tank would also be ok , almost unmeasurable ammounts of ionic copper can kill fish. L numbers and tetras are especially sensitive.

I'm building a solar evacuated tube open loop system system now for my fish room using a stainless steel manifold, stainless lines and a poly storage tanks, the water will be a low pH and hot so corrosion will be higher. all i need now is some all glass heatpipes and i should have a free heated fish room.

Ghoti
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 03:30 AM
I'm building a solar evacuated tube open loop system system now for my fish room using a stainless steel manifold, stainless lines and a poly storage tanks, the water will be a low pH and hot so corrosion will be higher. all i need now is some all glass heatpipes and i should have a free heated fish room.

Now why does that not surprise me Jothy? :lol:

"Modern" HWS have two types of tanks - stainless steel or mild steel protected by an enamel coating and sacrificial anode. These mild steel tanks are often called vitreous enamel or glass. Apparently copper was last used in gravity feed systems of 30 or so years ago.

Most homes have copper pipes, so the difference in copper levels between hot and cold water would be almost immeasurable. And indeed some of the older mains are copper so the only way to avoid it all together would be rainwater and polypipe...assuming the rainwater was pure!

I've gone for the stainless steel tank, 327lt heated to 47oC in 1.5hrs apparently. Mix in the aging barrel with some cold water and hopefully save on the $$$$ currently used (I have 2x300w jagers to heat water from around 13oC ex-tap to 28oC)

Cheers,
Scott

Nkemjika
Wed Feb 08, 2012, 05:54 AM
I was wondering if anyone ever got this figured out?