PDA

View Full Version : best ph buffer ?

joeyd412
Wed Jan 11, 2012, 08:11 PM
Hey whats a good ph buffer that i can find on amazon? because ph down is not relly that good it doesnt keep the ph low, i would just use my tap water but its like 8.5+

tran.nguyen
Thu Jan 12, 2012, 02:26 AM
Discus Buffer by Seachem.

swifto
Thu Jan 12, 2012, 03:05 AM
I read some where u can use almond leave's but I've never used them,as I use driftwood mangrove root works well 6.2/6.4 in my tank.From the tape 7.6

joeyd412
Thu Jan 12, 2012, 02:05 PM
I have drift wood in my tank it doesn't do anything lol

Hooked
Thu Jan 12, 2012, 03:57 PM
Hi,
I use Seachem Acid Buffer (not Discus Buffer). I was in the lfs the other day and noticed the Seachem Discus Buffer treats about 3000 gallons where as the Seachem Acid Buffer treats 12000 gallons of water. Both are $69.60 for 1.2kg sizes in my lfs.
Call me sceptical but if you are just lowering ph in local water that's not over the top hard then I'd go the Acid buffer. I use the local town water which I treat with Acid Buffer and also Supa Chlor (look this up also, a good product), aerated for a couple of days or more in plastic barrels and my fish are very happy. My water is a bit harder than is generally recommended but I think sometimes you can fuss to much and being consistent is the key. Discus buffer will soften water as well as lower ph apparently (so good if your water is very hard). Another member has recommended to me to get a rainwater tank (next winter) and mix it with the tap water to soften if needed.
Ph down is phosphate based so if you use a lot to lower the ph in hard water then it can cause an algal bloom. The two Seachem Buffers are non phosphate based. They contain bi-sulfate salts. I've been doing a bit of research lately on what's possibly in the product. If its just common food grade Sodium bisulfate (sodium hydrogen sulfate) which is primarily used to lower ph in water (thanks Wikipedia) then I'm probably paying $69 for a dollars worth of salt.
I find the Seachem Acid Buffer to be more stable than ph down, which is what I use to use. I'm definitely no expert but I hope this helps.

I'm interested to see what others recommend, good question by the way!

Cheers

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 12, 2012, 10:34 PM
acid buffer is good, discus buffer is also good if you dont have a planted tank, HCL from bunnings works a treat

joeyd412
Thu Jan 12, 2012, 11:03 PM
so acid buffer is the best product?

joeyd412
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 02:12 AM
btw i dont have a planted tank

tran.nguyen
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 05:17 AM
Sorry should of mentioned discus buffer contains phosphates (not good for planted, promotes algae).

Nev
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 06:30 AM
You could just add a co2 system with a ph controller. Or if you want plants something like amazonia instead of gravel which will lower the ph to 6.2

BigDaddyAdo
Mon Jan 16, 2012, 02:17 AM
I would suggest either a buffering substrate or using rainwater. I personally use a mix of rainwater and tap water. I don't like using buffers as they generally cause the Ph to fluctuate too much for my liking.