PDA

View Full Version : Have I Brought Runts

mumafish
Wed Jan 11, 2012, 07:49 AM
Eight weeks ago I purchased two what I thought were young discus from a dealer in Sydney.
They were about 6cm. With lots of feeds and water changes every second day they are now about 10cm.
Very happy with them untill tonight one of them is laying eggs.

They have good shape and have coloured up beautifully in the time I have had them.
I am disappointed as I had big plans to have two quality well grown discus.

The other one shows no interest in the eggs.

m.ingram
Wed Jan 11, 2012, 08:24 AM
I have had this happen with a red cover i bought about 18 months ago .It was about 9cm when i got it and it layed eggs a couple of times in the quarantine tank but now 18 months later its 6 inches in size and a beautiful round fish. So i wouldnt worry too much about it.

swampy1972
Wed Jan 11, 2012, 08:31 AM
Also have a look at it's eye to body proportion. If it's eyes are unusually large for it's body then it's a good indication that it's stunted..

mumafish
Wed Jan 11, 2012, 08:33 AM
Thanks, that is good to hear and gives me hope they will continue to grow.

Looking on the brighter side, hoping they grow at least I'll know the female.

mumafish
Wed Jan 11, 2012, 08:40 AM
Swampy, the eyes are in proportion to the head.

I have bred discus a long time ago and have culled what I consider to be runts, that's why I was suprised to see her laying. she doesn't look like a runt.

Nev
Wed Jan 11, 2012, 09:10 AM
Not unusual for 10cm (4") to start laying.

swampy1972
Wed Jan 11, 2012, 10:18 AM
No worries. I've read that females that begin to lay early tend to have a reduce size as they're putting their energy into egg production rather than growth. I've never had a femal that started early, so I can't be certain of that, but best to deter her from laying if possible.

swifto
Thu Jan 12, 2012, 02:03 AM
I no what u mean I've got a female 10cm laying every 8 days as they are eating the eggs.

Nev
Thu Jan 12, 2012, 03:20 AM
Think of the money you'll save on fresh live food!