PDA

View Full Version : New discus died

bear
Sun Mar 27, 2005, 03:33 PM
Sad news people, my newly acquired golden sunset discus died 1 week after I bought it.
And my 10 month old azure blue now resides in the hosp. Tank with a gray cast allover
It’s body. I’ve been treating it with malachite green for the past 4 days without visible result.
The only other thing I have available at this time (long weekend) is melafix, would it be safe
to use that with malachite at the same time?
My LFS said they can order me whatever I need, should have it within a week.. Yea ,rite
I guess in the meantime the fish will have to hold its breath ? Bad joke
Any suggestions and help at this point will be appreciated
B.T.W. I’ve been trying to post pix but my program is not user-friendly to file reduction to
128 kb, sort of makes the pic. Grainy. Something I have to work on I guess
Meanwhile
Y’all have a fine Easter, and I’ll be awaiting word on the problem
T.I.A. bear (art)

Fishpimpin73
Sun Mar 27, 2005, 06:17 PM
Ok.......

I know I am not going to make any points here but.

Prolly should have QT'd the new guy, b4 introduction to the "home" tank.

As far as meds go.........

Malachite green has been linked to cancer in fishies ( why I don't use it or anything that has it as an ingredient ).

If you can get your hands on some kanacyn, ampicilex, and hex-a-mit.
I know of a "cure all" cocktail that you can start running.

It takes about 2 weeks to run its course and isn't cheap, but I have used it on my imports when nothing else seems to work.

Problem is you have to get the temp up to 88 and KEEP IT THERE.
Daily Multi W/C's and double dosing meds 2wice a day.
NO FEEDING for the first three days.
Some fish have been known to starve to death during this treatment.
It is NOT highly recc'd.
Only used as a last stand scenario.
Last time I used it, It cost about $100 bucks just for MEDS.

Let me know if you want to try it.

Pimpin

kalebjarrod
Sun Mar 27, 2005, 09:39 PM
i am lost for an answer to your question

Ladyred is the person best of to answer

as for pic resizing go to microsoft homepage and check there downlaods they have a simple and easy tool for resizing

bear
Sun Mar 27, 2005, 10:57 PM
Never mind folks. I thank you for the replies but my azure blue and my marlboro red both died this afternoon. I'm cutting my losses and getting out of discus for a spell. I hate to quit but sometimes you have to fold them, and throw in the towel.
Thanks again to those who responded
Regards bear (art)

Merrilyn
Mon Mar 28, 2005, 10:20 AM
So sorry to hear that Bear. I think the malachite green wiped out your bio filter and made the situation worse. I can understand your disappointment. If you decide to get back into discus again, come back to us, and we'll try to take you through step by step.

bear
Mon Mar 28, 2005, 03:07 PM
Thanks all I will be reading this forum of and on and get whatever info I can in case I return to discus keeping. Thanks again and bye bye for the time being

Annie
Tue Mar 29, 2005, 07:33 AM
Bear, I am so sorry for you, for the loss of the Discus and the loss of the hobby spirit. So very sad to say the least. Believe it or not, it does get better, stay with us here and read and post and ask away with the questions, doing so you will gain more than you would think.
Take Care.

flukes
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 01:02 AM
Sh*t if i quit every time a discus died, i would have been out of this hobby a long time ago.

Discus can be hard too find specifically whats wrong with them, and there are alot of so called deseases that make things harder for the hobbyist. ie (discus plauge SP?). But you live and learn, what kills your discus can only make you a better hobbyist...

Your choice but it happens too the best of us...