PDA

View Full Version : Mixing German and Asian strains

TomH
Tue Dec 27, 2011, 01:37 AM
Folks,

Looking for some opinions here regarding mixing German and Asian discus in the same community. I have six juvies from Gwynnbrook Hatchery as was considering adding four like-sized specimens from Discus Hans. In my initial contact with Hans he mentioned that he was concerned that the Gwynnbrook strains are Asian origin and that mixing in some German strains could lead to problems. This definitely got my attention and sent me off on a search for information. It seems the traditional wisdom states the each type would have genetically developed immunities that may not be compatible and introducing German bred specimens could also introduce diseases/parasites that the Germans are unaffected by but this could be catastrophic for the Asians in the tank. (Boy it is tough to not sound like a politically incorrect bigot when discussing this topic <grin>)

Have any of the forum members mixed Gwynnbrook fish with Hans' fish?
Any problems?
Looking for opinions from the group.

Hope that everyone had a great Christmas and wish in you all a happy, healthy and discus filled New Year.

Tom Henrique

m.ingram
Tue Dec 27, 2011, 03:49 AM
I would listen to what Hans has to say .When it comes to discus he knows what he is talking about.

swifto
Tue Dec 27, 2011, 04:38 AM
I would listen to what Hans has to say .When it comes to discus he knows what he is talking about.Marlon has also told me never to mix Germans their advice is always on the mark

nevsfish
Tue Dec 27, 2011, 07:13 AM
i was told the same thing .i think stendkers have been breed in a sterile environment for decades so are disease free,but that means you must keep them in a stendker only tank because of low disease resistance.i never mix stendkers with asian discus.

TomH
Tue Dec 27, 2011, 01:25 PM
Folks,

Thanks for the opinions. My problem is that I cannot afford another large tank at this time and would really like to purchase from Hans. The discus from Gwynnbrook/Peter Thode are not direct imports but are multi-generations removed and produced at his hatchery. The Brilliant Turquoise are of German descent, I don't know the origin of the Tangerines but they are several generations removed from the original imports and the Silverados are the result of a cross between a Blue Diamond and a Pigeon Blood, a strain that Peter has worked on for several generations (original pair can be seen at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pipTn9XDz6s).

Looks like I am going to have to consider this dilemma for a bit longer. Again, thanks for the information.

Tom Henrique