PDA

View Full Version : One of my discus is a lot darker than the others

aussieant32
Sat Dec 17, 2011, 12:03 AM
Hi All

One of my discus is darker than the rest of them. He was smaller when I got him and a bit darker in the tank but it seems he is getting darker still, is this normal at all or is there something wrong? He is the bottom one in the picture.

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww112/aussieant32/photo.jpg

Merrilyn
Sat Dec 17, 2011, 09:13 AM
Your darker fish looks fine to me. Yes, he does have darker bars, and some black in the fins but that could simply be the strain.

The other two are snakeskins. They have lighter and finer bars (usually 16) than standard discus, which have 9.

The snakeskin at the front in the picture looks a little pinched in the head, so I'd increase the number of times you feed each day, and make sure each fish is getting his fair share. :P

aussieant32
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 12:48 AM
thanks so much

I have noticed that they do get beaten to alot of the food by the black widows, is there any techniques I can try to help them get there first?

Merrilyn
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 08:17 AM
Discus are grazers. It's not unusual for them to pick, mouth, taste, spit, then finally eat.

While they're busy doing this, their black widow tankmates are rushing to the food and stuffing themselves, leaving very little for the discus.

Some people combat this by adding more food ten minutes after the initial feeding, and others combat it by feeding at both ends of the tank at once.

That's why we recommend keeping juvenile discus on their own in a bare bottom 'grow out tank'. Just makes life easier :P

swampy1972
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 09:42 AM
I have noticed that they do get beaten to alot of the food by the black widows, is there any techniques I can try to help them get there first?

Personally I'd just get rid of the black widows. Make your priority the expensive fish, not the $3 dither species :P

aussieant32
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 09:11 PM
well I have thought of that, I have had them all for over 12 months but it does look like that might be the action needed.

I have emailed my supplier to ask if he would take them for me. I have noticed that he is getting darker, again my supplier advised maybe a broad spectrum antibiotic just in case he is getting stressed and may get infected.

Sound like a decent plan of attack?