PDA

View Full Version : Water change

swifto
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 07:25 AM
Hi All,a pair in my communal tank have just spawned,they have done it many times b4 and eaten the batch during the night.So as I'm due to do a water change 2night,should I hold off or just do the water change,Iwould like to c if the pair can at least get to wriggler stage :banghead

iro11a
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 08:11 AM
I would hold off and see how they go then do a waterchange once the fry have gone.

Then if you got the room get their own tank they might be eating the eggs because they feel like the fry wont surive. Whats in your tank and water is the size?

Jon

swampy1972
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 08:52 AM
Most pairs (some exceptions) will eat there eggs due to being in a communal tank - it's basically a defence mechanism so that other fish don't get the opportunity. If you have a spare 2ft tank laying around with a heater and mature sponge filter I'd put them in there to see how they go on their own.

swifto
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 08:56 AM
Hi Jon,tank size 5ft (standard),it contains discus (4),Cory's (2) and 1 bn,it's also planted.They spawn at the end where everyone walks passed.So u can't blame them 4 eatin each batch by morning.

iro11a
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:45 AM
Sounds ok i'd say they are worried about the other discus. See how the eggs go in the next 24 hours and once eggs have gone do your water change and if your up for breeding them you will have to set up a breeding tank. But in saying that you will only have two discus in a 5 foot tank and both the discus left in the tank might stress out a fair bit because remember discus are a schooling fish :D

swifto
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 11:00 AM
Not up 4 breeding just yet,but when i get my new tank.The 5ft will b devided into 3 sections so I can hav ago at breeding,2 sections for breeding,1 section for grow out.Best part is. I get to buy more fish :lol:

swifto
Sat Dec 17, 2011, 11:10 AM
Hi all,got up for work at 4am eggs still there and the the female was fanning the eggs.I get home this afternoon 2:30pm and guess what they ate their batch of eggs as thought they would.So water change it was,this will only make them a strong breeding pair ready to rise their batch. :thumb