PDA

View Full Version : Discus growth rate

Angelman
Thu Dec 08, 2011, 08:08 PM
I'm fairly new to Discus..These are my first I have had them for about 4 months Got them the size of Dimes or a little bigger. I have been feeding 3 small meals of beef heart and once a day mix in super green flake, blood worms, brine shrimp, Glass worms. Once a week they get live grindal worms. The parents were a Red and dad green snakeskin. they are now about the size of a large orange almost softball size. Is this normal growth? to slow? to fast? I have no real way to know for sure without asking opinions. but I figured if I can raise them I can keep them and don't kill off bigger fish that cost allot more.
Also they seem to be just starting to get there colorations forming. From mostly a pinkish To Dark red with green/blue lines. With dark black fins. How old till they get there full color? I ask as I have seen many discus much smaller than mine at pet shops with more color in them.
In case it matters I have 6 in a 75g for now..They will go in a 125g or 180 have not decided yet which. But they will be moved soon as i have both tanks set up and running now.
Thx for any help you can give me.

Merrilyn
Fri Dec 09, 2011, 01:18 AM
Welcome to the forum Angelman. The growth rate sounds excellent and the diet you're feeding them should cover all their nutritional needs. The only other thing you need to watch, is that you keep the water very, very clean. Changing 50% of the tank water three times a week is about right, with daily syphoning of any uneaten food.

The smaller, colourful fish you have seen in pet shops probably means that they are older than your fish but unfortunately a little stunted.

The rule of thumb with growing out juveniles, is lots of food and lots of clean water. If you allow ten gallons of water per fish, you are giving the best possible conditions.

Maturity is reached at around 12 months by which time they will be showing their full colour.

Angelman
Fri Dec 09, 2011, 02:21 AM
Thank you so much for the reply. They do always have fresh water I normaly do 2 times 50% and with the little company(2- 2" L183 Bn plecos) and all the plants in there tank I never get over 10 nitrates. I learned when raising angels to keep water not fish :). Thank you again my mind is at ease that they are on track.