PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! filter died!

theresag
Tue Dec 06, 2011, 12:22 PM
Hi, After weeks and weeks tank finally cycled, got 3 new discus and then my CF1000 (Aqua one)filter died. It made weird banging noises, then just stopped. The impeller was really hot. It eventually started again, but water isn't pumping through.How long can bacteria live for? If I buy a new filter tomorrow, and use all the media in the new one, will the bacteria live? Or will it be toxic by then? I'm guessing either way these fish are in big trouble. last question- I promise.. Is there a place to buy parts for Aqua One? Maybe later I could just buy the top bit with the motor in for a back up in case this happens again.
Thanks Theresa

Merrilyn
Tue Dec 06, 2011, 01:00 PM
Theresa, if you can put the media into a clean plastic tub or bucket then run an airline with an airstone into the bottom, under the media, it should move enough water around to give the bacteria sufficient oxygen to stay alive.

Put the clean bucket and media into your fish tank. May have to put a rock in the bucket to hold it down, but it will keep things ticking over until you can get a new filter.

swampy1972
Tue Dec 06, 2011, 01:24 PM
Just buy a new one if you have the cash available. It sounds terminal for your old one. As long you as you aerate the water as Merrilyn suggests it will be fine. Just be sure to monitor your water for signs of a mini cycle once it's all up and running again.

theresag
Tue Dec 06, 2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks for your quick reply, I really appreciate it. I had to improvise, because the water in my tank was too high. I've put my bio balls into one stocking leg and tied the end up with an elastic and the other stocking leg with the noodles. I also chucked in the black foam. Theyre all floating in my fish tank now. How long does bacteria live for? Will I have saved them in time. the filter choked about 9 I think I've got a small filter in there too from my old 60 cm tank.. It probably won't do much.'
Thank God I found this site!
Thanks again, Theresa :)

theresag
Tue Dec 06, 2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks for your quick reply, I really appreciate it. I had to improvise, because the water in my tank was too high. I've put my bio balls into one stocking leg and tied the end up with an elastic and the other stocking leg with the noodles. I also chucked in the black foam. Theyre all floating in my fish tank now. How long does bacteria live for? Will I have saved them in time. the filter choked about 9 I think I've got a small filter in there too from my old 60 cm tank.. It probably won't do much.'
Thank God I found this site!
Thanks again, Theresa :)

ILLUSN
Tue Dec 06, 2011, 07:40 PM
Floating in your tank the bacteria won't die so long as there is water moving through the media. You could technically sustain the bacteria indefinitely.

swifto
Wed Dec 07, 2011, 05:45 AM
Buy a Eheim if it is possible.