PDA

View Full Version : eheim 2217 clean now low pressure why?

Felix
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 05:56 AM
Need advice on my canister filter, I've never had one before but its been a couple of months since I've had it. Pressure was strong at the beginning so I assumed it would be the same after a good clean but the pressure flow seems half what it was. I have the connectors lined up as in the lever taps. The unit is quiet as per usual so if anyone knows where I've gone wrong it would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Felix

swifto
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 08:58 AM
Not sure but is there a chance of a air blockage,Ive never owned a 2217.

swampy1972
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 09:47 AM
I had this recently with a larger model. Try cleaning your tubing as well.

I also gave the media in my trays a bit of a shake up because as stupid as it sounds I think it may have become a little compacted.

It seems much better now.

Felix
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 08:19 PM
The tubing is clean and the media is all loose and not compact at all. There is no doubt it has something to do with the prime and air must be in there somewhere but the canister is operating quietly. I've read various post on priming even tried filling all tubes and canister as some say it works. I may just empty all tubes and canister like how it was when I first connected for I had no issues. Wish there was a priming for dummies
Cheers Felix

swampy1972
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 09:20 PM
If there was significant air in the canister you would here it as you say..
The only other thing I can think of would be to check and clean the impeller and the area it sits in. I use one of those cotton-tip thingo's to get right to the bottom of it when the impeller is out.

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Dec 06, 2011, 12:26 AM
Pull it all apart, make sure its all clean and that the taps are opening up fully.

Clean the impeller and the housing and put it all back together again.

Felix
Tue Dec 06, 2011, 12:31 AM
Thanks for advice guys i will try to get this done tonight. The water still looks clear as usual at the moment so the reduced flow hasnt made any difference to the water clarity.

cheers felix

Xerxes
Tue Jan 10, 2012, 07:02 AM
This post (http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?265051-How-I-clean-Eheim-2217-Filter) on another forum I found while cleaning was very helpful with all the pictures, and I keep it open when I clean.

Specifically, there is very good advice at the end about how to get all the bubbles out and let the canister fill full of water from the first. I think this is your problem too, as it has once happened to me when I let the canister fill with the exit hose in the water (allowing a bubble somewhere).

It also shows how to clean the impeller too, although it doesn't show how to clean the tubing (although I think that's a bit obvious). Again, excellent explanation.

Merrilyn
Tue Jan 10, 2012, 12:59 PM
A very detailed post on the cleaning of his filter, but he seems to wash everything in tap water. The chlorine in tap water will kill all your bio filtration.

Never wash your filter media in anything but a bucket of used tank water.

Ghoti
Tue Jan 10, 2012, 07:57 PM
Sorry Merrilyn. If you check you will see he rinses his bag of bio media in a bucket of tank water (step 9 - no photo) but everything else in tap water.

Cheers,
Scott

Merrilyn
Wed Jan 11, 2012, 01:42 PM
Ahhh okay. Missed that bit. Thanks Scott. Would hate to have our inexperienced discus keepers think tap water was the way to go.