PDA

View Full Version : Wanted :Sydney discus supplier recommendations

Hooked
Sat Dec 03, 2011, 09:02 PM
Hi all,

I'm in Sydney for a few days and would like to get out and visit a few quality Discus suppliers. Any recommendations? I need ones with a proven track record in shipping interstate as purchases will be shipped back to Perth. I will probably be venturing out this Monday,

Thanks for your time,

Cheers

swampy1972
Sat Dec 03, 2011, 09:43 PM
Marlons (find him here on the forum), SLS (also here) and JMS aquarium at Carlingford on the northside of town (google search their details).

All have some great looking stock, but as with any retailer, give them a call first to see what stock they have on hand before you drop in.

Hooked
Sat Dec 03, 2011, 09:58 PM
Hi Swampy,

Many thanks!

Cheers

swifto
Sat Dec 03, 2011, 11:26 PM
Watch your pm's I'll b sending u a pm

swifto
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 12:43 AM
Pm sent

iro11a
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 01:47 AM
I would't bother with the aquarium at carlingford did a trip down to sydney and stopped off. Was very disapointed with the quality of fish they had, alot had gill flukes and culls.

patwilliamson
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 06:31 AM
I would try Marlon or Marlon...................there is so much crap out there

swampy1972
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 07:14 AM
I would't bother with the aquarium at carlingford did a trip down to sydney and stopped off. Was very disapointed with the quality of fish they had, alot had gill flukes and culls.

You have to call to arrange to be there when they receive their shipments. You probably saw what was left over.

Pretty unfair to write off a retailer publically after a single visit.

iro11a
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 08:06 AM

You have to call to arrange to be there when they receive their shipments. You probably saw what was left over.

Pretty unfair to write off a retailer publically after a single visit.

I don't think it was unfair. They had alot of discus to pick from price was very reasonable. But even my wife who has no idea about discus said they did't look to healthy.

Merrilyn
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 09:23 AM
As with all retailers, there may be time when they get in a shipment in that is not quite up to standard, but fish are turned over pretty quickly so by the time you arrive at the shop they may well have new stock.

And keep in mind - price will dictate what you get. Top quality fish do not come cheap. If you're happy to settle for a non show quality fish, then of course, they come cheaper.

tran.nguyen
Mon Dec 05, 2011, 11:55 PM
Try Crystal Palace in Five Dock and also there is a small place on parramatta rd in Petersham, Marlon has nice fish but you cant choose.

Hooked
Tue Dec 06, 2011, 02:13 AM
Thanks to all for the info. I got to Slippery Little Suckers to check them out. It was a clean set up with some quality fish. Apparently been in store for a while so as always the best picks probably already been had.
I also caught up with Marlon late yesterday, very welcoming. They kindly invited my wife and I to there home to check out his private collection. He's quite happy to order me some different stuff in. He has some great fish. I loved the Albino White Scorpion.
I stopped off at Wetherill Park Aquarium also but wasn't impressed. Not as clean a set up as I would have liked. Smelt funky and needed a good clean and water change.
I didn't make it to Jms in Carlingford for a look as was to late in the day.
Thanks to all for the info, pm's etc. I'll check all recent info out on the net also.
I just landed back in Perth. Thanks Sydney!

Merry Xmas to all! : )

Cheers

iro11a
Tue Dec 06, 2011, 06:11 AM
Did you end up purchasing any fish?

swifto
Tue Dec 06, 2011, 07:37 AM
How about marlons fish their massive,huh

Hooked
Tue Dec 06, 2011, 09:03 AM
HI iro11a,
I saw a lot yesterday, some impressive stuff. Flew out at 7am Today, then stuck on the ground for 4 hours in Perth in a lightning storm (ground crew could'nt work-unsafe) about 80m from where we finally got off! All shut in Sydney by time home, so will email tonight and see what happens. I saw a breeding pair that was ok, not really what I'm after so will try and negotiate a good deal as was a bit pricey? Otherwise I'm keen to investigate some German stuff via Marlon and will definitely watch S.L.S and Marlons new year stocks, amongst others. I saw some awsome single fish but really chasing some potential pairs. I'll let you know how I go,

Cheers

Hey Swifto,

Yes mate, some beautiful, healthy, big fish!

Have a great night,

Cheers

boxters
Wed Dec 07, 2011, 09:04 PM
thanks for the kind words guys.

Sicj
Thu Dec 08, 2011, 04:59 AM
<Advisor Edit - Link Removed, Banned Commercial Entity>

These guys had heaps of discus.