PDA

View Full Version : skinny discus in shops

giorid
Sun Nov 20, 2011, 09:36 PM
Hi guys,
Can someone please tell me why some aquarium stores have discus for sale that are so skinny you could almost see through them, and the fish seem to just hang in the water. I'm scared to buy them in case they don't make it home alive, shouldn't the shop keeper have an obligation to feed his fish so they look healthy and sellable, I don't understand it, thanks.

pignoselover
Mon Nov 21, 2011, 05:24 AM
hi there,
Its because they dont tend to know how to care for them right and think feeding them an allround flake meal once a day instead of 2-3 times a day with all sorts of food eg:beef,worms and pellets is enough to keep them healthy if i was you i would look at another store as a good fish tends to be fat and active in the tank.
i hope that helps

Old Dave
Mon Nov 21, 2011, 08:13 AM
Most discus seem OK when delivered to the shops, & I am sure the owners are aware of the deterioration in both the fish & the profit margin.

My guess is that if they upped the temp to 28c the fish might just start to eat. Parasite control can also play a big part.

The bottom line here is that you don't buy fish that aren't healthy & eating well.
Post quarantine, with all the stresses involved, all fishes need a little tlc.

jmo,

Dave

SLS
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 08:51 AM
Discus are a hobby within a hobby and not for everyone or every store.

The simple reason why you buy Discus direct from a Discus Importer like us.

We have over 400 Discus in Stock. Com on in and take a look. Just remember, we are closed on Wednesdays.

Kind regards,
George

Wendy
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 11:57 AM
***sniff*** wish I could come and have a look....but NSW is a looooong way from Perth and it does not seem there is a supplier here worth their salt!