PDA

View Full Version : frekin leakin eheim taps...

Ghoti
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 01:15 PM
OK all you eheim gurus out there, what is the solution to leaking eheim double taps,other than turfing them!

One of the two tap sets on my 2213 leaks at around 1 drop per 2 seconds. Fist up I pulled off the o-rings, cleaned it all and tried again. No change. Then I tried twisting it left, then right hoping to better seat the seal. No change. So I tried lubing the o-ring with vaseline. No change. So I also packed the socket with vaseline. No luck.

Having exhausted all possibilities I tried swapping for a larger o-ring but the tap would not join and I didn't want to apply force.

So, I ordered new o-rings for the damn thing (they must be gold impregnated for the price they ask).

Cleaned the taps, fitted the new o-ring. No change. Tried vaseline again. Still no good.

So, is it fixable or are they simply disposable?

Cheers,
Scott

swifto
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 09:11 PM
Hey go to a pool shop they sell o ring lubricate and sealer this may help.cheers rob.

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 10:50 PM
It sounds like the tap may have a crack in it.

Ghoti
Wed Nov 16, 2011, 03:14 AM
The leak is absolutely from the junction rather than the tap itself. I both cases plugging the end of the tap with my finger and turning tap on does not lead to a leak - only when the taps are joined and the leak is from the join/junction.

ILLUSN
Wed Nov 16, 2011, 04:55 AM
if your sure there is no crack then it tap sounds worn where the housing meets the o ring, not much you can do, if you dont mind the wait you can order new taps from germany for about 1/3 the price they are here, or just go old school like i do and dont use taps.

Ghoti
Wed Nov 16, 2011, 05:25 AM
Thanks for that guys. The O-rings arrived from europe last evening, so I shoulda got taps instead. At least I now have spare o-rings for my collection!

Cheers,
Scott

Nev
Thu Nov 17, 2011, 05:02 AM
If your like me you've got a large collection of stuff that'd be useful one day.

swifto
Thu Nov 17, 2011, 08:44 AM
Or u can call it hoarding,lol

Ghoti
Thu Nov 17, 2011, 12:30 PM
Call what you like, its all very useful and quite valuable at midnight when you need a spare!

axl
Thu Nov 17, 2011, 08:55 PM
just use garden hose taps like i do. A lot cheaper and very solid

Ghoti
Thu Nov 17, 2011, 09:22 PM
just use garden hose taps like i do. A lot cheaper and very solid

The taps on my Otto filter aren't much different to a poly-irrigation tap. Simple. No parts to replace (or let you down). They just work.

ILLUSN
Fri Nov 18, 2011, 01:49 AM
Poly fittings do perish and fail especially at warmer temps and an acidic ph