PDA

View Full Version : ammonia rise????

pitchblack
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 01:03 PM
hey ppl since the last spat of event my tank is on the cycle process.

ph 6.8
ammonia 0.25ppm
nitrate and nitrite 0
gh 80ppm
kh 100ppm
iron 0.25

I have got a bottle of ammo lock. wondering if anyone else has used it??? It locks the ammonia up and turns it into a non toxic form to be taken in by the filter. I have put nitrate preventative bags into my filter and added cycle with a 20% water change. Is there anything else I can do. Havent had to deal with ammonia for a while so just wondeing how ofter I should be doing a water changes????

thanks

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 01:25 PM
Ammo lock will still give you a reading of ammonia even though it has turned it into a non toxic form. Keep up with your regular 20% water changes. It will prolong the time it takes to complete the cycle, but at safer levels.

pitchblack
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 01:27 PM
thanks for that ladyred. I understand that it will still give me a ammonia reading but better non toxic form than being deadly to the fish. How often should I do the water changes??? daily, every second day or weekly???

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 01:30 PM
If you can manage it, daily is the best, otherwise every second day.

pitchblack
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 01:34 PM
should i be adding anything else???? ie more cycle or do you recommend anything better I can get my hands on

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 01:35 PM
have you got fish in that tank

pitchblack
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 01:39 PM
yeah I have the fish in the tank but they are fine. ive slowed down the feeding to once every two to three days.

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 01:55 PM
I used to use Cycle, but found it didn't seem to do much, so now I use a powder called "Bio Super Concentrate" distributed by Biotec Restoration P.L. Seems to work extremely well.