PDA

View Full Version : blackout

giorid
Sat Nov 12, 2011, 08:33 AM
Hi everyone,

While I'm at it I thought had ask another question separate from fishy problems. This one is about an electrical storm sydney suburbs had a few days ago, anyway, the thing is that the electricity was off for about 5 hours where I was due to a big lightning strike nearby, I didn't notice any ill effects to my fish so I assumed that the filters didn't suffer, do you think I should add something like cycle to the tank, just to be sure, I don't usually use the stuff unless it's a new setup, thanks, max.

swampy1972
Sat Nov 12, 2011, 08:48 AM
Don't worry about it. They'll be fine.

scoob
Sat Nov 12, 2011, 09:20 AM
we had a power blackout for 8 hrs and it was in the middle of winter, the main thing would be the Oxygen level in the tank, I had a couple of battery powered air pump's so it was fine, even my Disucs fry in the garage survived.
The filters are quick to recover.

Mr Wild
Sat Nov 12, 2011, 11:50 AM
I agree with battery power, air is always what is needed foremost. I also always run a sponge filter in every tank that was when the power off and I run battery I have air and some filtration.

Ghoti
Sat Nov 12, 2011, 09:37 PM
I agree with battery power, air is always what is needed foremost. I also always run a sponge filter in every tank that was when the power off and I run battery I have air and some filtration.

Yep, Kath put me onto this sometime back as we regularly have power outages. Though I have now upgraded to the more "posh" K1 media. Somehow the tumbling wheels look better than a lump of black sponge.

Certainly handy to have handy as a peace of mind thing. You certainly would have had some bacteria die off but they will quickly reestablish themselves

Cheers,
Scott

Mr Wild
Sat Nov 12, 2011, 11:40 PM
Yep, Kath put me onto this sometime back as we regularly have power outages. Though I have now upgraded to the more "posh" K1 media. Somehow the tumbling wheels look better than a lump of black sponge.
Cheers,
Scott

Tell me about this wonder stuff Scott - have I missed something?

Kath

Ghoti
Mon Nov 14, 2011, 05:34 AM
Tell me about this wonder stuff Scott - have I missed something?

Kath its the most exciting development in fishkeeping since the invention of water :P

Well...perhaps not, but it is still pretty cool.

Basically the K1 media are small plastic "wheels" that are only just buoyant and are used as the basis of an air-powered moving bed filter. I have mine in a plastic 1lt bottle with holes drilled top and bottom to allow water flow and an airstone fitted to an airline running through a hole in the cap. As the air bubbles up it causes the plastic wheels to tumble and twirl around the bottle apparently knocking off a portion of bacteria therefore encouraging the growth of newer, hungrier bacteria.

It is the whitish bottle in the corner of this pic.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa142/ghotipics2/5%20foot%20Journal/5Foot-05092011.jpg

Adrian of Exotic Aquatic uses it in his tanks and sells the stuff for under $10 per litre. You only 1/2 fill the bottle (to allow space for movement) so 1lt of media needs two litres of space - or makes two 1 lt sized filters :wink:

Cheers,
Scott

Mr Wild
Mon Nov 14, 2011, 10:49 AM
Yes I see what you mean. mmmm I can hide a sponge easier than that though I will stick with my old ways lol.
Thanks for sharing though pretty neat.