PDA

View Full Version : discus not growing

giorid
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 05:12 AM
Hi everyone, thank you to all who previously answered my other questions, help is always appreciated very much, hope you are able to help this time too.
The problem I'm having this time is with a white diamond that I've had for about a year and it stopped growing, when I noticed that the others were growing normaly I separated it from the other discus and placed it with some angels for company, thinking that this would improve its growth rate, but after a year it's still the same size, it eats normally but it has stopped at 6cm, does anyone know what is wrong with it and will it ever grow to its full size, also are white diamonds a difficult strain? Thanks in advance, cheers max.

Discus Planetarium
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 06:00 AM
hi max tell me about your water changes and what you feed him...a photo would be good also..

Nev
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 11:51 AM
Don't think there any different as far as difficulty goes.
And like Brock says more info please.
Food - flakes not good
Water?
Was it stunted when you bought it?
Has it ever been wormed? You might be feeding the second biggest tapeworm in oz!

giorid
Fri Nov 11, 2011, 05:15 AM
Hi,
Sorry for late response and thanks for your replies. No he wasn't stunted when I bought him and I feed them sera discus granules only. Water changes are done weekly about 50%, Ph 6.5, the other discus growing normally. I soak their food in a glass of water containing one wormer pill and feed them that for a day or two once a month, do you think it might be worms? Sorry I can't load a picture don't have the tools needed, but the discus is a white diamond, looks skinny, feeds normally and is about 7cm. Thanks again, cheers, max

iro11a
Fri Nov 11, 2011, 08:11 AM
Discus will enjoy a variety of foods, If i was you i wouldt bother with the worming pill with food and use the Big L wormer in the illness and med section and treat the the tank. Go to LFS and get some beef heart/brime shrimp/discus dinner/blood worms, they will really enjoy the variety of foods.

Jon

giorid
Sat Nov 12, 2011, 12:44 AM
Thanks irolla, I tried those options and had little sucess with this particular fish, I'm starting wonder if it's genetically small, maybe a mutation because no matter how much it eats it doesn't seem to develop and I've had it for over a year now. I've been told that some discus never develop past a certain size and that is why knowledgeable hobbyists prefer to buy adult discus in order to avoid problems. Thanks again max.

m.ingram
Sat Nov 12, 2011, 01:17 AM
It sounds like it was stunted when you bought it .Once a discus is stunted it will never grow out to it full potential .If you can put up a picture of the fish people can tell u if it is stunted .

giorid
Sat Nov 12, 2011, 06:09 AM
Hi m.ingram,

Thanks for your reply. No I don't think it was stunted when I bought him because he didn't have the large eyes that stand out in a stunted fish, also it was eating and growing (for a short time) at the same rate as the other ones in the group. As far as I can see his eyes are still normal just looks skinny, but very active and eating normally, I really think that white diamonds must be a weak strain, like some of the albino varieties.