PDA

View Full Version : Going from 30 gallon to 90 gallon need some help

joeyd412
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 03:00 AM
hi so i was told to add all the water from the 30 gallon tank to the 90 and add tap water and add some drops of the thing to take the bad stuff out of the water would that be ok to add my fish without cycling the tank?

Ghoti
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 05:02 AM
....depends.

There are more experienced punters than I on this forum but in effect you have a 66% water change.

I imagine it would be OK to add your fish without the cycling process IF

Your mature canister filter is also swapped across having not been off for more than an hour; AND
You add a bio starter such as Seachem Stability; AND
You ensure the tap water has been aged and heated and treated for Chlorine/Chloramines etc before adding to the tank; AND
The tap water is of similar pH (within 0.5, preferably equal or higher) and hardness (TDS +/- 50ppm from the original water); AND
The tap water has zero Ammonia, NitrITEs and ideally low NitrATEs (<10ppm); AND
You don’t add any new livestock for a couple of weeks.

Cheers.
Scott

Nev
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 11:44 AM
Yeh wot he said.

Treat and warm the tap water first. Tap should have (will have) zero have anything in it.
Swap your filters over straight away.
If you have any gravel in the old put a hand full of it in the new.

I did similar setting up my breeding tank, waited a day, put the pair in and they laid eggs the next.

joeyd412
Fri Nov 11, 2011, 06:11 AM
all right i got everything you said but i cant relly age the water, is it ok if i just add tap water and add the stuff to treat chlorine? and also how many discus can i add in a 90 gallon?

iro11a
Fri Nov 11, 2011, 08:05 AM
Joey If you got a large enough bucket put tape water in the bucket add your conditioner.Good to have it sit overnight to with a airstone in the bucket to heaps air rate the water, you can also heat the water but i dont bother as i dont change alot a once only 25% every 3rd day in the community tank.

90 gallons is about 330 litres i would't put anymore than 6 in that size tank.

Jon

joeyd412
Sat Nov 12, 2011, 07:19 AM
all right thanks guys