PDA

View Full Version : Metro question

TomH
Mon Nov 07, 2011, 01:37 PM
Folks,

New member here and before I get into my questions I just wanted to say that I am really impressed with the knowledge and helpfulness on this forum. I have been lurking for a week and have really learned a bunch about keeping discus.

OK, to the issue:

I recently got back into discus after more than a twenty year absence and have been trying to get caught up with all the new information, hybrids and meds available. I bought five fish from Peter Thode at Gwynnbrook, two Tangerines, two Silverados and a turquoise (all around 3 to 3 1/2 inches) to go with the one turquoise (about 4 inches) that I had bought at a local fish store. The larger turq became overly aggressive, relentlessly chasing everyone at all times and, after letting them "sort it out" with no success, I decided that it was best to find him a new home and gave him to a friend. The effect on the community was exactly what I had hoped for and everything was going just fine. After a couple of days one of the Silverados and the two Tangerines starting getting reclusive at mealtime and not eating. The next day, I saw the dreaded thin white feces from all three in question, assumed it was hex and started a metronidazole treatment using water soluable powder at a dose of 1/4 tablespoon per 40 gal with a 25% WC prior to treatment for 10 days. I also called Mr Thode to arrange to pick up another Turq to replace the goon that I gave away. Two days later, the Tangerines were eating and no longer being reclusive and have since been fine, so I drove down to Gwynbrook to pick up the Turq. I discussed the Silverado with Mr. Thode and he agreed with the metro treatment (by the way, a quick endorsement for Peter, he also gave me a free replacement Silverado "just in case the treatment didn't work"). The two new fish acclimated fine and after a day the Turq started eating well. The reclusive Silverado also started to pick at the bloodworms (nobody likes my peasant frozen beef heart since they are all spoiled by Peter's gourmet beef heart blend but I am sure they will eventually come around) so I thought the metro was doing its job and the problem was on the way to being solved.

Now comes the issue that I need some advice on. I am now five days into the ten day treatment and there has been a noticeable change in the behavior of the group. They were all swimming together, looking great and eating well, with the exception of the sick Silverado who was picking at the food but stopping after a couple of worms. They had gotten to the point where they were not alarmed when I approached the tank and were charging over to me at feeding time. Then two days ago they started to get agitated when I approached the tank and hide in the plants instead of coming to the front. There have been no changes in chemistry and the only two changes made to the tank are 1. the metro and 2. I switched to Prime as a dechlorinator for water changes. Then, yesterday it seemed that everyone's appetite was surpressed, they ate, but seemed very cautious during feeding, hiding in the plants whenever anything moved outside of the tank. When not feeding, if we are a distance from the tank they still are acting fairly normal but as soon as someone moves they hide.

My questions:

Could the metro account for the change in behavior and appetite? As I said, it has been a while since I had discus and I have never used metro before and do not know what to expect.

Could the switch to Prime have any affect? Our tap water contains both chorine and chloramines and I am using a slightly higher dose (1.5 ml per ten gallons instead of 1.0 ml) to be sure that I am neutralizing.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions and I apologize for the long post.

Tom Henrique

Nev
Mon Nov 07, 2011, 01:46 PM
I can't help with much of what you've said but as far as your choice of de-coordinator goes, l often use different brands at estimate dosages and have no ill effects.

Mr Wild
Mon Nov 07, 2011, 10:28 PM
Hi Tom
Sounds like you didn't qt the new fish which you really should do. At this stage you need to finish the metro treatment although having introduced new fish I would make sure all fish get a 10 day course now you have started.

Follow that up with a general worming product we use Big L poultry wormer, I am guessing you are from the states? If so you may have to look for an alternative wormer.

I think the attitude has more to do with the addition of the other fish - 1 nevous fish can startle the rest and flight is common.

Try covering 1/2 the front of the tank with a table cloth hanging down for a few days. This will give the nervous one somewhere to feel comfortable after a week like that let the tablecloth "naturally fall" a little at a time. You will find that they will come and peek out from behind it to see what you are doing! Its quite funny to watch actually and it does work. HTH

TomH
Tue Nov 08, 2011, 12:30 AM
Nev/Mr. Wild,

Thanks for the replies. I didn't quarantee the new additions because I had only done one treatment when they were introduced and I thought it would not be a problem. I had posted the same question on another forum and had gotten a suggestion that the 25% water change wasn't enough and that I should do at least 50%. For today's treatment I did as suggested and the results were impressive. We just got back from running errands and the whole crew greeted us at the front of the tank. Everyone is acting normal, doing a prominade across the tank and not reacting to movement outside the tank.

Thanks again,
TomH