PDA

View Full Version : General Plant/Water Question

rburrowes
Wed Oct 26, 2011, 01:53 AM
Hey Guys,

Just a quick question. I have kept discus for a few years now, I change water ever couple of days max 50% every time, which gives me the perfect water conditions for my discus, they seem really happy.

Anyway, I recently added some slate rocks and tied on a couple of moss balls to a couple of big pieces of wood. Keep in mind that the tank is a bare bottom tank, anyway I have noticed that the water is clouding up, and when I poke with moss, clouds of dust appear to come off the plants. And now my Discus are hidding behing the pieces of wood.

Wonding if I am doing anything wrong? Thought it might be the a plant food clash. The only way I have been able to keep on it is to change the water ever day, at least twice, which I know isn't good for my discus.

I'm getting to a point where I am just about to rip out the moss, only thing is it looks really good.

Anyway, options would be good.

Cheers
Rob

Nev
Wed Oct 26, 2011, 02:02 AM
Don't poke at the moss.......
Sorry, l've got nothing , anyone else? :(

On second thoughts, try and leave it for three days and see if it clears up.

ILLUSN
Wed Oct 26, 2011, 10:12 AM
sounds like you have a build up of organic matter in your moss, id take the balls out and give the tank a good water change

AS28
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 07:04 AM
I remember something about slate not being good for tanks. I give my rocks the acid test. before they go into a tank a drop some Hydrocloric acid on them, if they bubble up they don't go in because the acidic water will dissolve them.