PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Beefheart

Ty
Tue Oct 18, 2011, 12:00 AM
Okay, so I was recommended to feed my discus beefheart...now the question I have is how to feed it? I'm assuming i'm not going to be putting a heart to hang in my tank?

I have read some posts in here where they recommend putting it through a meat grinder with some veggies, etc in it....uhm, can we give some assistance to those who may not have a meat grinder....what are other "approved" methods of feeding the beefheart and veggies?

Thanks,
Ty

jimmilfish
Tue Oct 18, 2011, 12:36 AM
I used a blender instead of a meat grinder.Acceptable result.Fish still pig out on it.It is worth the effort to make a batch of food up as per one of the above recipes.

Ghoti
Tue Oct 18, 2011, 12:47 AM
A meat grinder can be purchased on ebay for around $10. Minimal expense considering the value of the fish.

Ty
Tue Oct 18, 2011, 01:36 AM
I agree 100%...I honestly never thought of that idea. Thanks! Initially when I was doing some research on the discus, I was told to use bloodworms...well, JUST bloodworms didn't satisfy me. I'm a zookeeper by trade and know that to keep an animal truly healthy and at its best you need to offer variety in its diet...so I went with bloodworm, brine, and mysis for now. Now having joining this forum I now know much more already than I initially THOUGHT I knew. (And here I was trying to educate the petstore guy). Anyhow, they were initially being fed omega one pellets, they are "hormone free" (someone please feel free to elaborate on that for me sometime, please), their water temp was at 76F, water changes once every 10 days or so. I made them do a water test on their water to see what kind of parameters they were being kept at. It came back 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and .5 nitrate. I didn't think that was too bad. Although I wasn't 100% set up and ready for the discus I took my chances as I knew that at least what I could offer at that time was already MUCH better than what they were living in.

Other than the beefheart, what other ingredients should I consider adding to their diet?

Thanks a lot, everyone!
Ty