PDA

View Full Version : Hello to All!

Ty
Mon Oct 17, 2011, 02:17 AM
Hey Everybody,

To introduce myself, my name is "Ty" and i'm new to the discus realm. I'm hoping by having joined this forum I can acquire some guidance and knowledge in the keeping of discus.

To start with a little background I am currently running a 75g aquarium, 2 #60 power filters, sand substrate, and some fake plants for hiding. I purchased my first two discus tonight from a petstore and followed their instruction on care. This is what I learned and what I plan on changing, hopefully I can get some better guidance...
- They were being fed a Omega One pelleted fish food, I plan on changing them over onto frozen bloodworms.
- They ran their tanks in the mid 70's, I plan on raising my temperatures to mid-high 80's.
- They sold me 2, and I would ultimately like to add a few more to my aquarium with time. I figured I should start "small" first in case I do something stupid (maybe I already have) and kill them.

I hope by this i'll get some feedback and i'm going to be sure to check out some of the posts on here for sure to gain some further insight!

madmen
Mon Oct 17, 2011, 09:34 AM
welcome to the forum mate, there are some great people on this forum.

cheers :D

Discus Planetarium
Mon Oct 17, 2011, 11:20 AM
welcome to the forum... :banghead

Ty
Mon Oct 17, 2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks, i appreciate it! I'm hoping I can get some help with this new "endeavor" of mine!

Nev
Mon Oct 17, 2011, 06:55 PM
Hi and welcome.
As for your setup, 78's a good temp and beefheart not bloodworms for food.

Ghoti
Mon Oct 17, 2011, 09:38 PM
Plenty to read here! Work your way through the "stickies" in each forum and you'll soon be aware of the basics you need in place to keep your fish happy and healthy.

Cheers,
Scott

Ty
Mon Oct 17, 2011, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the great advice already, I appreciate it. How do you feed the beefheart? I clearly wouldn't put a big chunk in the tank...do I need it ground up then frozen?

If you could give me a little more insight to this that would be great, or better yet...i'll post something in that section of this forum!

Nev
Tue Oct 18, 2011, 12:02 PM
Opps should have said 28c which is about 82 -83 f

my mistake.