PDA

View Full Version : substrate

pignoselover
Sat Oct 15, 2011, 03:48 AM
hi there guys, just wanted some help with something i just wanted to know if anyone has used volcanic rock in there tank just wanted to know if it is safe to put into my discus tank and its not going to change ph or anything else

boxters
Sat Oct 15, 2011, 06:51 AM
personally i have never tried it. I think it should be fine. put some in a bucket of water for a few days and then test the ph to see if it has changed it.

SLS
Sat Oct 15, 2011, 08:29 AM
Thanks Boxters....

Volcanic Rock and Scoria is fine to use in the Aquarium. Just be cautious as some pc's maybe sharp and abrasive to the fish.

It may have a subtle effect on Iron content - potentially leading to Algae.

i assume though by the tittle of the posting you wish to use this as a Substrate. Is that for Filtration Media or as an Aquarium Gravel?

As a media, scoria does not offer the same area mass as sintered glass media's. Substrate Media such as Matrix, Ehfi-Substrate etc, are far superior.

As a gravel base, the granule size is too large and not ideal for plant roots. Your far better off with a substrate such as an ADA Substrate System. Have a look at my demonstration video's:
http://www.slipperylittlesuckers.com/video.html

If im not mistaken, did you have a problem with cloudiness of the water using a brand of Aqua Soil?? I dont believe you ever disclosed which brand of Aqua Soil you were using??

If your in the Sydney area, best for you to pop in and have a chat with us.

Kind regards,
George

pignoselover
Sat Oct 15, 2011, 09:05 AM
hi guys, its for topping up my filter i still have aqua soil i have is AQUA SOILŪ by UP-AQUA and i am getting very sick of the cloudy water thinking of going bare bottom with plants in terracotta pots along the back what do you think