PDA

View Full Version : Water Cooling

Gumby
Thu Oct 13, 2011, 10:59 AM
Hi, I was wondering if someone could tell me if i might need an aquarium water cooler in summer due to the fact this rental property has no air con and it can reach 40 degrees here in summer.
Bit of a silly question but when i kept and bred previously, i lived in Queensland and had aircon.
Cheers, Gumby

Old Dave
Thu Oct 13, 2011, 11:20 AM
Blacktown can get pretty warm in summer but it still depends on how hot it gets inside the house, especially if there is no-one home to throw a few frozen 2L bottles into the tank during the day.
Sometimes just covering a tank can make a big difference :ug .

Interested to see what other replies you get.

hth,

Dave

swampy1972
Fri Oct 14, 2011, 09:03 AM
Also depends on the volume of your tank. Larger tanks are less likely to fluctuate greatly.

If the temp rise is only small you could always get a cooling fan setup from EBay. They're a far cheaper option and work by increasing evaporation on the water's surface. Just search 'cooling fan' in the EBay search window and you'll find them.

Gumby
Fri Oct 14, 2011, 09:54 AM
Thanks guys, yes Swampy this would be for my 4 FT 250 ltr display in my lounge and the 4 FT 210 ltr in my garage, my QT tank is a 2 FT so can easily go into the laundry where it's cool.
I'm not sure what the temp rise on this size tanks will be because i haven't had one up running through summer yet, i do know the ambient air temp of the house will be whatever that given days temp might be with no air con.
What temp can i safely let my tank temp rise to with Discus housed before i worry ?
Cheers, Scotty

swifto
Fri Oct 14, 2011, 10:08 AM
Hi,during summer i set mine tank to 28,with the heat my tank will reach about 31 and i live in St Marys

swampy1972
Fri Oct 14, 2011, 09:34 PM
It's common for Discus tanks to be deliberately set to 30C for juvie growout and hospital tanks in order to minimise bacterial infection and increase the metabolism of the growing fish, so they can tolerate significantly higher temps than most fish.
I would be surprised if your house got significantly higher than that so I'd think your 4ftr's should be ok. Keep an eye on the one in the garage though as most tend not to be insulated, but removing the tank lids and fitting a cooling fan 'should' keep it in check.