PDA

View Full Version : Ph problems

joeyd412
Wed Oct 12, 2011, 02:35 PM
Is there a easyier way for a stable ph? Because I check my ph an it's like 6.4 than a few days later it goes up to 7.2?

Ghoti
Wed Oct 12, 2011, 07:56 PM
...and then what?

Not being a smart alec, just that if its stable at 7.2 that's better than swinging between 6.4 and 7.2 while you try to fight it.

My guess is you have something in your tank that is buffering the ph - like shell grit or marble or even other rocks or gravel. Perhaps try placing a cupfull of gravel in a litre of water and test over a couple of days. The black gravel I had in my African tank used to buffer the water to ph 8!

Cheers,
Scott

Ghoti
Wed Oct 12, 2011, 07:57 PM
...and then what?

Not being a smart alec, just that if its stable at 7.2 that's better than swinging between 6.4 and 7.2 while you try to fight it.

My guess is you have something in your tank that is buffering the ph - like shell grit or marble or even other rocks or gravel. Perhaps try placing a cupfull of gravel in a litre of water and test over a couple of days. The black gravel I had in my African tank used to buffer the water to ph 8!

Cheers,
Scott

BobbyBruce
Thu Oct 13, 2011, 05:03 AM
Hi Joey,

Is your tapwater ph 6.4 or 7.2. If it is 6.4 then something iin your tank is altering the ph. What type of sub-strate are you using? Some sub-strates will leech alkalines into the water changing your ph.

If you are adjusting your ph from 7.2 to 6.4 using ph down then what you are seeing is probably the "buffering" capacity of the water. What happens is that you can adjust the ph using ph down but over time the buffering capacity of the water will return to it's normal ph level.

Regards,

Bob