PDA

View Full Version : Itchy Discus

Oonallee
Mon Sep 19, 2011, 08:48 AM
My discus fish is itching himself on the hose line. He is very healthy every other way, eats really well, very bright and alert (and cheeky as usual). I'm just wondering why he is itching himself? I'm assuming it must be a parasite thing? What is the best treatment for it?
Water paramaters ph 6.5 kh 40 gh 20 nitrate 0 nitrate 20. I've lost a few neon tetras recently, but gauged from my research that it must be neon tetra disease as there were no obvious signs of them being sick before they keeled over.

Advice appreciated :)

m.ingram
Mon Sep 19, 2011, 09:29 AM
I wouldnt worry to much mine do that all th time .

Mr Wild
Mon Sep 19, 2011, 12:13 PM
Could be flukes any other symptoms, is he holding his fins closed?

ILLUSN
Mon Sep 19, 2011, 12:32 PM
if your neons had neon terta disease you would have noticed, for onr their spines would be bent and they'd have little white tuffs on their mouth and white patches on their fins.

it sounds like your discus has flukes.

you could try a round of prazi or just watch and wait, if other fish start doing the same you'll know its flukes

Oonallee
Mon Sep 19, 2011, 12:50 PM
I've read that you can't treat tetras & loaches with fluke treatment? His fins are fine. Thanks for the replies :)

ILLUSN
Tue Sep 20, 2011, 01:31 AM
I've used prazi on tetras and loaches just don't overdose

Oonallee
Tue Sep 20, 2011, 03:54 AM
Thanks ILLUSN.

I'm about to move them into a little tank and treat them all. I'm rescaping their current tank tomorrow so it works out well. I was going to save some water from the emptying process and of course the filter meduim to speed up the cycling with the new setup. Should I be treating the water & filter medium as well or do the parasites only live on the fish?

ILLUSN
Tue Sep 20, 2011, 06:42 AM
treat everything, the cysts will be everywhere.