PDA

View Full Version : Lights

kandaii
Thu Sep 01, 2011, 03:14 AM
Hi All,

I recently bought a second hand 4x2x2 tank which came with the fittings to house 4x T5's and 2xT8's. So I set these up and the tank is extremely bright (it is empty though). What do you think of this set up? Too much, too little, wrong combination of tubes? Not sure if I will be doing a planted setup or not yet sas I know this will affect the lighting, but what do you think I should be using for either option?
Cheers guys,
Katie.

Ghoti
Thu Sep 01, 2011, 04:15 AM
I am sure you don't want to hear it, but it really does depend on what you want to do.

The two T8's are fine for a simple BB tank, and will also support low light plants in a simple set up.

The four t5's (assuming they are 54w) will give you ability to grow most plants, though to maximise the benefits you would ideally need a fertile substrate and CO2.

It would be fair to say you have most bases covered
:D

Cheers,
Scott

Exotic Aquatic
Thu Sep 01, 2011, 04:50 AM
Great advise Scott!

swampy1972
Thu Sep 01, 2011, 08:50 AM
Keep the fittings. Start with the T5's which will do most things in a 4x2x2. If you want to go high tech with difficult plants, firstly then use the T8's as well or replace the T8 fitting for another 2x T5s.

If you're going to keep Discus though most plants normally associated with them are low light plants, so the T5s alone will more than cope with their demands.