PDA

View Full Version : Male eating eggs as laid

Miffy moo
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 07:21 AM
As the topic says I am watching my pair spawn again and the male is not fertilizing the eggs just following behind very closely and having a feast. AHHHH. Last week they got wrigglers out to free swimming stage but ate them after a water change. Any ideas? thanks :?

Exotic Aquatic
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 10:56 AM
:S im really sorry to hear that... Hope its just nerves or jitters and they eventually sort it out.

Miffy moo
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 09:24 PM
So do I! S :(

HUN
Fri Sep 02, 2011, 02:44 PM
it happen , try not to shock them too much "nest" time ,haha it will breed again soon ,now what you can do is feed and condition them.try to cover side of the tank with white paper so the wriggler can get to parent more easily.

Miffy moo
Sat Sep 03, 2011, 08:45 AM
Thankyou for your reply, I am watching them try again at the moment but female has been having 'dry runs' for about 1/2 hour. Time will tell, she is being extremely persistent, she will end up with a very sore laying tube if she's not careful!
' :oops:

Miffy moo
Sat Sep 03, 2011, 09:27 AM
:banghead He is eating the eggs again, first off he was eating them and then doing a fertilization run now his just pushing her out of the way to eat them. I'm worried all this spawning is going to be to much for the female as she spawned on Tuesday. Am I right to be worried. Thankyou, any comments appreciated. S.

HUN
Sat Sep 03, 2011, 03:46 PM
Only four day second lay, that's quit fast isn't but the male ate it so divide the male till three day that see what happen ,(just suggestion) any way you need to prepare a divider to divide the parent and the egg but still able to fan the egg.

Exotic Aquatic
Sun Sep 04, 2011, 02:56 AM
Why divide the parents from the eggs? either way they wont survive without constant parental care. Unfortunately the truth is they will either eventually get it right, or not.

Suzanne stop by when you get a chance and are ready for more fish, ill look after you on a proven pair and throw in their fry free! (only for you!)

Didnt realize you were so experienced with breeding Alex? As you mentioned you just got into fish keeping for the first time a couple months ago. GREAT fish in some of your photos, well done! Great to see you dove in head first, good on you! Hope you have fantastic success with them:D

Miffy moo
Sun Sep 04, 2011, 03:49 AM
Thanks Adrian I'll try and get in this week.Suzanne

ILLUSN
Sun Sep 04, 2011, 04:58 AM
They just need practice give them time

Miffy moo
Sun Sep 04, 2011, 07:38 AM
Thanks Illusion patience isn 't one of my virtues :roll:

HUN
Sun Sep 04, 2011, 12:33 PM
Happy father day! Have look at this ,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQIcqWww83A&feature=related

Newbreed
Mon Oct 03, 2011, 11:41 AM
Same prob happening with my two leopards.

He helps clean the site, does dry runs, when she lays he pushes her aside and feasts.

Glad to know she is laying well but he doesnt seem to get what he needs to do.

Should I just wait it out or get her a new male??

Have seen five attempts over last month and a half.

Exciting but very frustrating....

Nev
Mon Oct 03, 2011, 11:48 AM
Girls mature earlier than guys, well they do with people anyway :?: I've got a pair of pidgeon bloods doing exactly the same thing.

Miffy moo
Mon Oct 10, 2011, 10:05 AM
Just thought I would give you an update. they finally got it right and I now have 31 fry of 10c piece size so far doing very well. Not bad since I only started keeping discus 6 weeks ago! My pair have since the removal of the fry from dad, (he was abusing mum), have since laid and eaten the eggs 3 times since. Go figure? They do eventually get it right! :)

Nev
Mon Oct 10, 2011, 11:29 AM
Well done Miffy, you'll have to show us some pics of your kids. :)