View Full Version : Sexing

hades
Mon Aug 29, 2011, 08:19 AM
Can someone pls sex these for me :)

And maybe the type of discus :)

Thanks heaps

Nev
Mon Aug 29, 2011, 09:24 PM
Sexing is very difficult (for me anyway) usually the males are more aggresive. Even they sometimes stuff up, have had 2 females laying eggs together.

Hollowman
Wed Aug 31, 2011, 09:39 PM
Oh dear Nev,

I hope you never paid too much for these fish. They are way too young to be able to tell what they are really, and to be honest, you have your work cut out to get them to maturity.

Pic 1 is a Blue Diamond, but a very low standard fish which is badly stunted. It is showing very poor colour, looks stressed and is in very poor condition. The fins are in tatters, so this fish needs some real attention.
Pic 2 is a mix of fish, a bit of turq, bit of leopard, not a distinct fish. A better shape than fish 1, but looks like it has stringy pooh, so this fish also needs lots of tlc.
Pic 3 is a Pigeon Blood. Again badly stunted, very bad shape and peppery.

Sorry for being striaght to the point, but best not to pussy foot about so you know you have your work cut out to improve these fishes lives.

H

Exotic Aquatic
Thu Sep 01, 2011, 12:12 AM
+1

I am glad they got a good home though!

rex82
Thu Sep 01, 2011, 04:19 AM
they would need a good home! either that or clove oil!

boxters
Thu Sep 01, 2011, 07:55 AM
very poor quality indeed. If you would like some help treating them, feel free to contact me

lpiasente
Thu Sep 01, 2011, 08:06 AM
Hey Steve :wave

swampy1972
Thu Sep 01, 2011, 08:46 AM
G'day H - Welcome back :wink:

Nev
Fri Sep 02, 2011, 04:05 AM
oh Dear Nev

Lol - I answered the post, my little pigs are much purtier.
But could be called "free to a good home" fish.

HUN
Fri Sep 02, 2011, 04:38 AM
i like the second fish ,feed them 4 /a day take good care ( passionate),six month later post some of their photo it might look better and sex , anyway that's good start.

Ty
Tue Oct 18, 2011, 01:46 AM
Okay so for us "newbies" - how the heck do you tell if a fish is stunted in growth? Especially by a "poor" picture? As a newbie myself I looked at these fish (except the second one) and though of how beautiful they were. I guess I need more of an education on what an "exceptable" fish really is...hopefully someone can enlighten me?

mikeychdiscus
Tue Oct 18, 2011, 07:12 AM
I think that the third discus is an excellent example of a stunted discus. The body is football shaped. Discus should be as thier name sugests, disc shaped and as round as possible. The other give away is the eyes. if you look at the picture you will notice that its eyes are abnormaly large in comparison to the body. I still consider my self a "newbie". Been caring for discus for just over 18 months and i'm still learning. Stunting most likely arises from poor care. Juvenile discus eat an enormous amount of food, and they need to. If you have juvies and they aren't eating 4 - 6 times a day you will most likely end up with stunted discus. Stunting cannot be reversed. I agree with earlier posts. These guys would best be euthanased humanly and start again. I really do feel for the OP.