PDA

View Full Version : New discus, 6 weeks later still not settling in /eating

xitsurf
Sun Aug 28, 2011, 08:22 AM
Hello, i am posting on this formum in desperation.
I have a tank that has some discus allready in it. The water parameters are fine to my knowledge for discus. ( i know this because i have another tank that is co2 with all the bells and whistles. i have every test under the sun so all good in discus tank).
Anyway, purchased a discus fish on the 19 th of july. He/she just did not eat after one full week so i purcased some live blackworms and put a clear divider in the tank.
He did eat the blackworms. When i put bloodworms in the tank they do disappear over trhe course of the day ( i have never seen him eating them though!). I know he must be eating overnight etc as his stomach goes from skinny to fat etc occassionaly.
This is the problem, he does not eat the food, as it drops straight past his face ( this includes flake, beefhearet, blood worms , pellets and everthing else). BLACKWORMS he appears to love but the supply is only sporadic.
I worry if i remover the divider and leave him to mix with the other fish he will just not eat at all.
He spends his day looking through the divider at the other discus!.

The other problem is , the main part of the tank has bottom feeders etc. This means he has to eat from the top/water colum otherwise he will miss out. So far as stated i have never seen him make any attempt to eat in this way.
I am nearly ready to give up and give him away.
Please note size is 10cm, healthy leopard something?.
OTHER tankmates (on other side of division) , 3 discus, all smaller than him, 2 corydoras, 2 bristles, 2 ottos, some rainbows.

All help will be greatly appreciated

ILLUSN
Sun Aug 28, 2011, 09:59 AM
If you let him put he will school with the others and hopefully do as they do.