PDA

View Full Version : Wrigglers dissappeared

Miffy moo
Sun Aug 28, 2011, 06:02 AM
Very newbie here. I've only had discus week and two days, and they spawned in community planted tank. Put a divider in. Now My just free swimming wrigglers have disappeared, this is my pairs first spawn could the water change I have just done have anything to do with it? There are a few bodies on sponge filter but not all of them! I have one left what do I do with it. :(
Any help greatly appreciated.

swampy1972
Sun Aug 28, 2011, 07:24 AM
New parents sometimes need a few attempts before they get it right. Being in a divided community tank may have made them feel threatened or the water chnge may have upset them - either way they most likely ate them.. It happens ;)

Miffy moo
Sun Aug 28, 2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks for you feedback, I thought that maybe the case. I really didn't expect them to spawn in the first place, especially in a community tank (tetras only). Thanks again for your valuable advice.

Exotic Aquatic
Sun Aug 28, 2011, 11:35 AM
howdy do suzanne!

Im so sorry you lost the fry!!!!

All i can say is sponge filter!

The fry will always be attracted to the darkest thing in the tank, and unfortunately it wasnt mummy, nor could it feed them the mucous membrane or 'slime coat' that they need to survive.

Ive unfortunately had this happen many times to my frustration, before trying a clear or white filter, which then led to success!!! Please do try to remove the sponge and replace it with something lighter than the parents? My guess is it will really pay off as its not unheard of to raise discus fry in a community tank, especially one as peaceful and lush as yours.

GOOD LUCK! and please let me know if i can help in any way at all.

heart,
EA.

Miffy moo
Mon Aug 29, 2011, 03:33 AM
Hi Adrian thanks for your support. I didn't have a sponge filter avaliable at the time so I used a boiled fawn colored stocking. They wernt attracted to it, but they never really seem to "attach" themselves to their parents. They would swim up to them stay a few secs and them go off exploring. The last fry succumbed after yesterdays post, sure it was eaten. Parents are back to there vibrantly colored self hours later. Oh well we'll see whats to come. Suzanne