PDA

View Full Version : Shelving

Wendy
Mon Aug 15, 2011, 10:05 AM
I have got some dexion pallet racking that I think I can modify to fit in my fish room. It would be capable of holding 3 tiers of tanks. It is 2.4 m long and around 600mm deep.

I figure I can have tanks made to fit and in a 2.4m length I can have 2 x 4 ft tanks, or 2 x 3fts and a 2ft, or 4 x 2fts on each level. All tanks could be 2ft front to back. Would any 1ft x 2ft tanks be useful?

Basically what I need to know is what would be a good arrangement for an angelfish or discus breeding setup....still havent made up my mind on which fish. :?

Also what is a good distance to leave between the levels for access etc.

Any other advise you may have would be great as I haven't done anything to this scale before and hope to get it right the first time..... :lol:

Exotic Aquatic
Mon Aug 15, 2011, 11:11 AM
check the max load of the racking, ive seen pellet racking go bad MANY times!

i find 3ft tanks a good size, they even work well divided with pairs.

Wendy
Tue Aug 16, 2011, 01:05 AM
Hmmmmm thanks for the heads up EA, I have done a bit of research on the racks I have and I don't think they are up to the job....eeeeep! Back to the drawing board.

If anyone has any suggestions on preferable tank sizes, particularly what height is the minimum I should use and also how much space I should leave between rows(heightwize). All suggestions are much welcomed!

Wendy
Tue Aug 16, 2011, 06:11 AM
find 3ft tanks a good size, they even work well divided with pairs.

Are the dividers solid or something like light diffuzer? or mesh? If they are mesh do you have problems with fry wandering to the wrong side of the tank?

I hope you don't mind all my questions....I have so much to figure out!

Exotic Aquatic
Tue Aug 16, 2011, 08:27 AM
i use a drilled perspex i buy from an importer out of taiwan, they are 100% clear like starfire glass, and come with two plasic brackets with suction cups.

They can be shaved down if need be, as not all tanks are an exact fit... they look great and can be moved to change dimensions of the divisions, or two can be used to make 3 sections if need be.

they retail around $20-$25 somewhere.

Wendy
Tue Aug 16, 2011, 08:43 AM
Ah yes I have seen them advertised "somewhere" too lol....will do a search.

How do you go with fry do they fit through the holes?