PDA

View Full Version : Sump filter setup

Nev
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 04:08 AM
I currently have a 6 x 2 x 2 tank with a sump filter I bought secondhand, it came with no instructions of course.

After a few mods I think I've got it right, but would like to know if anyone can suggest any improvements or glaring mistakes I'm making.

size is 1300 x 460 x 360 and holds approx 200 - 240 lt.

Have used my skill and the bosses time (took ages - lol) to draw it up with paint.

Flow rates are only guesstimates.

Nev
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 11:38 AM
Come on someone knows about these things!

I spent a lot of time po that drawing, at least tell me it looks ok. Lol

ILLUSN
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 01:04 PM
way too much dacron, you want a small sheet for fine filtration.

put a sheet of dacron where water comes in add more media bio balls ceramic lava chips what ever you like to where the dacron is.

re circulating pump is a bit of a wast of time just get more flow through the tank for a 6x2x2 ~650L try and get 1300-1800L of flow through the tank.

Nev
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 01:32 PM
Ok so would swapping the noodle and dacron around sort that part out? I've got buckets of those blue 25mm bio balls in the shed. And then a better / bigger spray bar and pump to fix up the other end.
Flow rates were only a guess, return pump is an eheim variable flow thing - have seen 3 different models of the same looking pump on the net. Will get a bucket and work it out properly.

Thanks for the advice :) will let ya know how l go with the mods

boxters
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 10:26 PM
the eheim pump you talk of is a 5000 litre per hour unit. Imo not enough for your size tank. I would go for an aqua medic ocean runner 6500

Nev
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 10:45 PM
Have looked it up it's an Eheim Compact+ Wet / Dry Pump, but the model number could be 2000, 3000 or 5000. Nothing written on it to indicate which one. The dimensions are all the same. Guessing its the 2000 coz the flows way too low.

Looks like a shopping trip for me.

Nev
Sun Aug 14, 2011, 07:37 AM
Changes so far, still waiting for new pump.

Bio balls removed frim intake, intake tube raised, added coarse sponge mainly to stop small fish from finding out whats on the other side.

Dacron as per pic.

Approx 30+ lts of bio balls in second compartment.

Ceramic tubes approx 10lts in next compartment.

thimking I may need something in with the bio balls to move the water around a little, air stone or small powerhead pump. Any thoughts?

ILLUSN
Sun Aug 14, 2011, 08:18 AM
perfect if you like add an air stonre with the bio balls and ceramic, but you dont need it.

id iuncrease your pump a little to somethimg like an eheim 1260/1262 more head height hence more flow from bottom to top

Monolicious
Sun Aug 14, 2011, 10:25 AM
Some of my sumps, These things work fantastic at keeping water crystal clear and I never have a problem with any of my Parameters.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/PeterMizzi/My%20Fish/8x3x2Update008.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/PeterMizzi/My%20Fish/8Footer005.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/PeterMizzi/My%20Fish/FTS005.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/PeterMizzi/My%20Fish/P2190001.jpg

Monolicious
Sun Aug 14, 2011, 10:31 AM
Bio Balls are only effective when used as a Wet Dry Media and should never be fully submerged in water

ILLUSN
Mon Aug 15, 2011, 01:00 AM
Bio Balls are only effective when used as a Wet Dry Media and should never be fully submerged in water

I couldn't agree more with this.

Nev
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the pics monolicious, lots of ideas there to try out.
A quick update on my setup. New pump has arrived, obviously pumping heaps more, new problem, standpipe can't handle it, weir sounds like a waterfall.
So .... Replumbed the return, now goes direct to a spray bar with an anti syphon hole drilled in appropriate spot. Old return line drains directly into the first section of sump, but can't take all the flow, raised and enlargened the stand pipe height so drop from the weir is approx 100mm. At a guesstimate 70% of the flow goes directlt via 1/2 line and 20% via standpipe.
End result is silence, no gurgling, no cascading and no toilet flushing sounds.
Pic to follow when l workout how to make it small enough.

Nev
Wed Aug 24, 2011, 03:39 AM
Pic of standpipe setup, one of the locals and entry into the sump.

Nev
Wed Sep 07, 2011, 02:25 PM
deleted - posted in wrong place

Angelman
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 12:10 AM

Sorry to drag up an old post but wondered about this statement.. Why would Marineland give these with there canister filters if they don't work fully submerged??? I don't know just asking as I did add ceramic to the only one of theres I have.

swampy1972
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 04:01 AM
For your canister if you have bioballs in the lower section, just replace them with good quality glass quartz noodles (more surface area than regular ceramic ones). Then use other media of higher surface area in the remaining trays.

tran.nguyen
Tue Jan 10, 2012, 05:39 AM
Bio balls will store a shite load of nitrate if submerged.

cramdub
Wed Jan 18, 2012, 11:01 PM
Bioballs are designed to be colonised by aerobic bacteria which breakdown ammonia and nitrite (into nitrate) - they are also designed for dry sections of sump filters where water can cascade over the bioballs while getting 'mixed up/turbulent' and mixed with air.

When they submerged they aren't getting enough oxygen to do this as effectively as they otherwise could (i.e. as if they are in the 'dry' part fo a wet and dry).

They also have relatively low surface areas (when compared with other media such as matrix, clay balls and even pot scrubbers).

unfortunately, when submerged, the micro-habitat is not anaerobic (i.e. oxygen-free) enough to support anaerobic bacteria (although there will be some) which breakdown nitrates.

If yo have a submerged part of sump filter (i.e. wet section), try using media such as clay balls, matrix etc. this will give you more surface area for amonia and nitrite reduction and may also help reduce nitrates.

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 01:15 AM

Sorry to drag up an old post but wondered about this statement.. Why would Marineland give these with there canister filters if they don't work fully submerged??? I don't know just asking as I did add ceramic to the only one of theres I have.

cause they're cheap and you dont need many to fill a canister, its the same reason aquaone gives them out in their lower spec filter but not their advanced.