PDA

View Full Version : Help with fx5 to strong current

xrboy_85
Thu Jul 28, 2011, 12:15 PM
Hey all

might anyone have any suggestions as to how to slow the flow rate down on and fx5?? it seams to be blowing the crap out of everything in the tank plant wise, have tried inlet and outlet at either ends and not much difference, would it help it i made up a spray bar and drilled a variety of holes in different directions??

Cheers Justin

ILLUSN
Thu Jul 28, 2011, 01:16 PM
point the output at the back wall or into a back corner

swampy1972
Fri Jul 29, 2011, 05:56 AM
point the output at the back wall or into a back corner

Or increase the depth of it slightly and go straight up so you get slight surface agitation too.

xrboy_85
Fri Jul 29, 2011, 07:10 AM
Thanks boys will give it a go!!

aquafrogstuff
Fri Jul 29, 2011, 09:23 PM
I've had a lot of success with using spray bars. For bigger tanks where there's more space I've looped the spray bars to get an even distribution of water flow. Also consider splitting the intake line since flow in = flow out so whilst you might reduce the turbulance on the water going into the tank, a single intake will still contribute to turbulance in the tank. I have a 6ft tank I had pre-drilled with four holes in the base to allow 2supply and 2 discharge points from the tank. I have an Eheim Classic with a pump that does 3,500LH so I needed to reduce overall turbulance in the tank. Hope that helps.

Priscacara
Fri Jul 29, 2011, 10:02 PM
I had been wondering if I should get one of these for my 4x2x2 but thought the flow would knock the fish and plants around a lot. I asked about it on another forum and then went back to the manual to confirm things. The manual states that the flow rate can be controlled by turning the aquastop valves to the required rate without doing any harm to the motor (near top of the page EN-3 in my manual). I run one of these on my 6x2x2 but its always flat out so was unsure how changing it would affect things long term, have to assume the makers know what they are talking about I guess.

lou1
Sun Dec 25, 2011, 11:48 AM
i have a fx5 on my 6ft and yea it does move alot of water . i just used the twin outlet fitting and put it right in the corner with 1 nozzle facing towards the back panel and the other towards the side panel . this seems to work well. i wouldnt run one on a 4 x 2 thats way overkill i think

m.ingram
Sun Dec 25, 2011, 12:14 PM
I use an otto spray bar on my fx5 its 1 metre long so the flow rate is distributed over a large area and it fits straight onto the fx5s outlet pipe .

farebox
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 04:09 AM
I have the FX5 on my 125GA discus tank and done the following modification.
The output is a lot better and turned down the output lever a little. Check it out: http://www.innovationlandscaping.com/fx5/vinyltubing.html
farebox