PDA

View Full Version : discus breeding pair is not breeding! need some help!!!

swapnil_k
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 01:26 PM
hello guys,
I got my first Discus breeding pair from my friend he is a Discus Breeder ...
he have breed them twice..
but when I got them they are not breeding at my place...don't know why...pls help

I have placed them in 18x18x18 cube and doing 40% daily WC.
also placed a 2-3'' PVC pipe vertically to lay eggs
feeding frozen Blood worms twice a day...
my friend said that discus shake when they are about to lay eggs...so when I saw them shaking near the PVC pipe and cleaning the pipe so I've called him he said stop WC...they will lay eggs.
but now it's 15+ days when they have started shaking...but no luck...
they are still shaking, inspecting the pipe and cleaning doing the same but not laying eggs...

I'm keeping my tanks light on during day and night for few hours...
so is there any light problem? do I need to keep light off or on?
or they are getting disturb? because the tank is in my bedroom....when ever I entered in my room they come to front side and keep looking at me...when I sit near to tank they be like I'm gonna feed them so they like waiting for food....
so are they gonna be disturb by me and that's the problem? should I put news paper on front glass so they won't see me?
when I told my friend he said my be your water is hard....so is the hardness may be a problem?

pls i need experts help....
this is my first time with discus breeding...

ILLUSN
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 01:48 PM
A diet of bloodworms is terrible read up on propper nutrition. Once your fish are in the right condition they will spawn get them both nice and plump at a ph of 5.5-6.5. Set temp at 28c. When you see the female full of eggs do a water change of 50% with water at 26c if you can time it with a storm or a drop in air preassure they will spawn. Your fish are look too thin in the face to breed and raise fry. If you can line the outside of the tank with white paper it will make it easier for the fry to find the parents. But seriously get them onto a good beefheart mix.

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Jul 28, 2011, 12:41 AM
Does that mean that you haven't done a water change for 15 days???

I also think that he tank is way to small to keep them in. I keep my pair in a good sized 3ft tank and often think that it may be a little small.

Get them onto a good quality staple like NLS and some freeze dried black worms. Add to that some beefheart mix or discus dinner and some live worms and they will spawn in no time.

What are your water parameters?

I find it amusing that your friend is a "discus breeder" yet he couldn't advise you on a proper diet? ;)

Decapper
Thu Jul 28, 2011, 01:28 AM
Andrew soh says a swing from 6.5 to 7.5 and back again will help with spawning. Think it was every second day not sure maybe every day.

HUN
Fri Sep 02, 2011, 02:37 PM
Any luck yet ? tank is ok ? water condition should refer to the ex owner , food i will say white worm , privacy yes ,if the male keep looking for food the female will deny to lay so put a sticker that you can see through but they can't, at last they need time to setter down .