PDA

View Full Version : Salt

swifto
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 03:08 AM
Hi,just went to go and buy some salt but became very confused as there is so many types,i no not to use iodised salt but none of the others had nothing written on them about not being non iodised salt ,so can anyone tell me which to used i.e(sax sea salt rocks).thanks rob

Ghoti
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 03:35 AM
I believe epsom salt is the go, but would prefer you await a reply from someone with mre experience than I.

Cheers,
Scott

swifto
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 04:14 AM
thanks scott,i've got detailed instructions on what i need to do from some one on this forum about treating (hex)they where so kind to give me pure metro as their dad is a vet.So i need to no which salt to use.

swifto
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 04:16 AM
sorry 4 got to say i'm a newbie when it comes to discus.

ILLUSN
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 04:23 AM
for use with metro epsun salt helps, i think Samir found an article that had epson salts working to kill spironucleus at 70mg/L but you'll need to double check.

Ben75
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 04:30 AM
Hi Swifto,
When i treat with metro i normally use normal rock salt.
I have no experience with epsom salt & metro combination .
Regards,
Ben

Ben75
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 04:32 AM
p.s. have used that brand of salt with no ill effects.

Ghoti
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 05:19 AM
sorry 4 got to say i'm a newbie when it comes to discus.

Makes two of us!!!

swampy1972
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 11:00 AM
What are you using the salt for? Is it for a medical condition and if so, what problem?

If you're using it as a general tonic or to raise the TDS just use the cheap Rock Salt found in the spice isle in Woolies. If it's for a fish with an ailment then maybe Epsom salts is the go - I've used it to recover a fish with a swimbladder issue.

Being Iodised is a selling point (meaning they can charge more), so the product will generally make an effort to print it on the pack. If you can't see it on the pack it's not Iodised.

I hope this helps ;)