PDA

View Full Version : How are my water parameters?

kandaii
Tue Jul 26, 2011, 12:35 AM
Hi Everyone,

Since I am new to discus I thought a good place to start was to see the quality of water coming out of my tap. I used all API test kits (liquid).

Straight out of my tap I found:
PH: 7.6 (or 7.4 with the high range test) so 7.5??
KH: 3
GH: 89.5

I then left this water in a bucket for 48 hours to age (however I didnt use an air stone), and then retested the water and none of the parameters changed... I am going to get an airstone today and try again, do you think this would have made a difference? I am surprised that my water appears stable.

Also - are these results suitable to house discus healthily? Or do they need adjusting?

ILLUSN
Tue Jul 26, 2011, 01:27 AM
looks fine the ph is a little high but its no issue if you dont want to breed them, just keep your temp at 28C or so and you shouldn't have a problem

scott bowler
Tue Jul 26, 2011, 05:09 AM
i would try drop the ph to about 6.8 or so they might like it more .

Decapper
Tue Jul 26, 2011, 05:55 AM
Just keep your Ph stable.. makes it easy for water changes if its right out of the tap at 7.5 then just leave it. Unless like mentioned u wish to breed

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Jul 26, 2011, 06:32 AM
You can use a mix of tap and rain water to achieve the desired parameters.

kandaii
Wed Aug 03, 2011, 01:26 AM
So now silly question time... since my water is stable does this mean I do not need to age it?

Also - how do I go about acclimatising new fish to this level of PH?

Mathias
Wed Aug 03, 2011, 08:26 AM
maybe just do a quick ammonia test as my tap water is all good, but my ammonia isent at levels id want to put in my tank.