PDA

View Full Version : Anubus plants

maxpayne40
Sun Jul 24, 2011, 05:36 AM
Hi, just wondering if anyone has the same experience as I am with anubus plants (planted on driftwood). I had a problem with BB algae and got some water flow on them and some SAE fish and that helped a lot, thanks to advice here. I also lowered the dose of liquid fertilzer down a lot.

Now I have another problem (may or may not be). The leaves on the anubus plants are going 'spotted'. They look like water stains but are still growing and not going yellow. Besides looking odd I have no idea if it is going to eventually kill the plants (paid a bit for them so hope not).

I have ordered some dino dung to use around the roots instead of the liquid stuff (advice here again). I am wondering if it is a lack of some nutrient maybe?. I give them long periods of overhead light (sunlight bulbs and marine blue). I do not have CO2 as it is a bit expensive for me to consider for a few plants.

Any suggestions as to what is happening and how to stop it?. As I said they are still shooting new leaves and nothing is going yellow. I keep the temp around 28 degrees and PH is nuetral, ammonia and nitrates are negligible. I feed the fish brine shrimp, black worms, blood worms and discus delight (store bought) plus some pellet food and wafers.

I only have two discus (mating pair), 2 BN, 2 SAE, 3 catfish in my AR60T tank.

Thanks

lpiasente
Sun Jul 24, 2011, 06:40 AM
Not sure how dino dung is going to help. Dino dung is to be placed into the gravel and as the anubius is on the wood ???? Pee and spit would have been better. Not sure what is going on with the anubius, sorry

swampy1972
Sun Jul 24, 2011, 07:06 AM
Do a search on the aquariumlife forum. Very good for info on all aquatic plants. Google should also uncover plenty of suggestions.

maxpayne40
Mon Jul 25, 2011, 02:10 AM
The anubius is on wood but the roots are actually 'overflowing' into the substrate so I assume they will get something from the dino dug in the substrate?.

Thanks

maxpayne40
Mon Jul 25, 2011, 05:07 AM
I probably did not describe the problem with the anubius leaves. The problem is that the leaves all look like they are water stained, if that makes it any clearer. The new shoots do not have this problem but my 'new' plant is starting to get this effect also. I have looked in the forums and google but nothing seems to fit. Just wondering if anyone else had this problem and what could be causing it.

Thanks.

maxpayne40
Wed Aug 03, 2011, 03:52 AM
Just bumping this to see if anyone could assist. I cannot work out why the leaves are displaying a 'stained' look?

The temp is between 28-30 degrees but that should not be a problem since these plants are for tropical tanks?.

I thought it might be because it is too close to the heater but the other one is on the other side fo the tank and it also has same problem. I did notice that the 'new' leaves coming out are not stained but when they get larger they seem to get that stained looked.

The leaves do not seem to be dying but it does not look great in the tank. One anubias is large and the other is meidum and both are on driftwook.

I have cut ferts down and nothing seems to be eating the leaves. I have the usual pond snail problem but that is under control and they make tasty snacks when crushed for the fish.

Any suggestions?.

Thanks.

firthy13
Fri Jan 20, 2012, 10:25 AM
Have you tried rubbing the leaves with a cloth or sponge to determine if it is actually a defect in the leave or something on the leaf from an external source?