PDA

View Full Version : Using old marine tanks for freshwater

Newbreed
Sat Jul 23, 2011, 06:04 AM
Hi All,

Wondering if any of you have converted from marine to freshwater using the same tanks?

Have a couple of marine tanks that i have ceased using and would like to get them up and running for future discus abodes.

Is there any special preparation that needs to take place?

Or will it be safe so long as i give it a good few soaking and rinses?

Any suggestions welcomed...

Thanks.

ILLUSN
Sat Jul 23, 2011, 06:47 AM
a good wash and they will be fine, i used dilute hydrochloric acid to clean mine, more to remove the excess calcium from the glass

Newbreed
Sat Jul 23, 2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks for that.

Thought it would be cool, but always best to check.

Ta

swampy1972
Sat Jul 23, 2011, 09:19 AM
a good wash and they will be fine, i used dilute hydrochloric acid to clean mine, more to remove the excess calcium from the glass

I've used CLR to remove normal calcium build-up, ex-marine build up might take a bit more elbow greese..

Newbreed
Tue Jul 26, 2011, 10:59 AM
Thanks Swampy,

Wouldn't CLR be a bit toxic to use on a tank?? I have always tried to avoid using any cleaning chemicals inside my tanks .

Thanks for the feedback.

Will have ago at getting them cleaned and do some testing to see what needs be done furher. They will be more for backups anyway, not urgent.

blake01
Fri Nov 04, 2011, 10:54 AM
i know this is an old thread, but i just wanna be sure if it is safe to use clr on old tanks? what about filters that haven't been used for awhile?
What it be best to leave the tank out in the sun for a day after washing off the clr?

swampy1972
Fri Nov 04, 2011, 10:45 PM
Yep, it's safe. Use it to remove the calcium deposits then give the tank a good rinse out with fresh water. If you're still not sure, have a look at the directions on the packaging before buying and you'll see it has directions for cleaning glass coffee perculator pots etc, so it can't be toxic if used correctly :wink:

blake01
Fri Nov 04, 2011, 10:51 PM
cool, thanks heaps for that

Newbreed
Mon Nov 07, 2011, 09:52 AM
Swampy you're a legend.

Will be able to revive a few more tanks now...

Now the dilemma, what to fill them with???

Nev
Mon Nov 07, 2011, 01:30 PM
Lol easy !!!
Large round fish and vegetarians that begin with L something.....