PDA

View Full Version : Vote/Question about discus and background colour

Eric A
Fri Jul 15, 2011, 10:28 AM
Hey guys.

I'm just curious as to what variety of discus you guys think look best in front of a black background?

I'm thinking i'll get Marlboro reds when the tank is ready, but i'm open to ideas, well heck, i changed my mind from wilds to domestic strains haha.

Thanks all.

lpiasente
Fri Jul 15, 2011, 10:31 AM
All except the pigeons pepper against black

Eric A
Fri Jul 15, 2011, 11:05 AM
True, I never considered peppering...

Marlboros don't have peppering, thats good :)

swampy1972
Fri Jul 15, 2011, 12:50 PM
Personally I think they look best in front of a natural (planted) background. If your fish have good colouration they will display it here ;)

Eric A
Sat Jul 16, 2011, 04:53 AM
Oh of course the tank will have some plants, mainly wood, but there will be 5-6 swords and mosses on the wood. I would have some more, but eartheaters won't agree with that ;).

Ghoti
Mon Jul 18, 2011, 02:30 AM
Personally I think they look best in front of a natural (planted) background. If your fish have good colouration they will display it here ;)

So, with the planted tank, do you subscribe to leaving all sides of the tank clear or do you recommend painting the back of the tank?

Personally I prefer a painted background to hide all the cables (heaters, powerheads) and tubes (air, filter, CO2 for those so inclined). I have one tank a light blue which I think is too light and one which is black (too dark).

I am trying a dark blue for my next tank with a white or light substrate.

Cheers,
Scott

scott bowler
Mon Jul 18, 2011, 03:02 AM
True, I never considered peppering...

Marlboros don't have peppering, thats good :)
Eric if the Marlboros are pigeon based ( witch i think they are) they will get peppering with a black backing so be careful with that one .

ILLUSN
Mon Jul 18, 2011, 03:03 AM
all pigion based fish will pepper against a black background, if you want to keep melons or marlbo reds your best off with a light background, if your using lost of drift wood and moss a pale blue or gray might be best.