PDA

View Full Version : Painting breeding tank

biggie1985
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 01:38 PM
Hi

Im currently setting up a breeding tank for a pair that im getting.
I know that fry generally attach to the dark figures being the parents.
I also know that some people also cover the black sponge filters in white wool so the fry dont get confused.

My question is if i were going to paint the sides n bottom of the tank to cover it up abit what colour should it be? Should i not paint it dark blue or black so the fry wont be confused?

Your opinions are appreciated.

Regards
Dave

Mr Wild
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 02:31 PM
Hi Dave

I painted mine a pale blue mainly for my own preference. But remember discus will try an adapt to colours in the tank as camouflage as they do in the wild and yes dark surfaces can and will attract fry so better to keep it light IMO>

biggie1985
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 01:56 AM
Thanks Kath
Im just worried that they may not b comfortable in a light tank.

Has anyone actually had it effect their fry attaching?

Ben75
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 03:12 AM
I have found it better to have a lighter background colour , light blue even white.
Darker colours haven't worked well much at all for me.

Decapper
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 10:06 AM
Does it not depend on what discus you are breeding.

Mr Wild
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 11:12 AM
No not really. Discus have striations and the ability to darken so they can camouflage themselves amongst the tree roots and vines in their natural habitat so they go darker when it is darker and lighter when it is lighter to blend in thus making themselves less noticeable to any prey.

When breeding lighter is better you really do not want anything attracting the all important fry from their first feed off mum or dad they need the nourishment and artificially raising them is way harder than other fish - (at least I found it was).

KISS approach needs to be followed here you really want to make things as simple as you can to have the best opportunity to have success. IMO.

Ben75
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 11:39 AM
Well said Kath. I agree totally.