PDA

View Full Version : Metro - Low Ph and HITH - spironucleus vorens

Decapper
Tue Jun 28, 2011, 09:24 AM
Hi,

Just found this document on the parasite spironucleus vorens

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-120399-140825/unrestricted/ANGEL.PDF

From what my tiny brain can tell and from my readings on Andrew Soh book I would have to say that a low PH stops this bug dead in its tracks. The PDF above goes on to say that a PH lower than 6.0 causes this bug to die in a culture.

So from my readings and understandings a PH lower than 6.0 and Metro would be the best battle for this bug.

Any thoughts? (did not read it all as fried my brain on the first part)

ILLUSN
Tue Jun 28, 2011, 09:34 AM
Correct this is well documented in the illness and disease section 6 sticky posts down

Points to remember
Lower ph slowly bout 0.5-1 degree a day is a nice rate. If you mix up your change water the day before a change you can adjust the ph down to the level you want and just change 20% a day your ph will slowly shift down to where you want. From personal experience a ph of 5.0-5.5 works best to eradicate spironucleus.

Decapper
Tue Jun 28, 2011, 10:19 AM
I can't see anything in that sticky about ph. Maybe I'm reading it wrong or wrong sticky

ILLUSN
Tue Jun 28, 2011, 10:33 AM
Cotrect my apologies notes on ph are in the plague thread further down as are the notes on using salt. All discus carry this organism as part of their normal flora it's stree that brings on the disease. The best preventive to hith and lle is a good diet high in vitamins and minerals.